Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last year i got a 99 zrt 600. this is the first triple my family has ever been around. when we first got it, we noticed that it was fairly difficult to pull start it. being that it has 3 cylinders instead of two, it was no biggee. However there were certain times last year like when it sat outside in the cold for a while that it would be even tougher to pull it through to get it to start. that wouldnt be so bad if it would actually start under ten pulls, if it would start at all. there were several times where we had to pull it into the garage and let it thaw for a while to get it to start.... and i looked all over the engine at the gas lines, in the tank in the carbs and stuff and never found any ice or even condensation. We even took the carbs off once and opened them up to see if there was any gunk but no go. but after a while we just go used to pulling it into the garage the night before we would go to get it to start the next day. we just figured that with 3 cylinders, it was tougher to pull it fast enough to catch.

now fast forward to this year. this past weekend we pulled all of our sleds inside for the prewinter riding once over stuff. we got the other 2 sleds started without much hassle but we couldnt get the 600 to fire at all. it didnt even sputter. we checked for fuel, air and spark and had all 3, in all 3 cylinders. we added fresh gas and drygas to the tank and that didnt help at all. after changeing the plugs a few times we got it to fire up and run once the next morning and we thought all was good again.. .but then 3 hours later it was back to not even coughing or sputtering at all.

after searching the boards for a bit, i came up with the idea that the choke could be messed up... stuck open or something. either that maybe the kill switch or ignition... other than that i have no idea why it is so hard to pull and wont start. we each get about 20 good pulls in before we are beat.... and we arent like weak or anything either... its just really tough to pull

anyway, any good ideas? this is getting really frustrating that i cant ride cause it hardly ever starts....

thanks for the help

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Get an inline spark tester to check for spark in all 3 cyls. It's probably fuel related, though. When you get it running, how does it go? Does it bog, etc?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
once it starts running and goes through the warm up it runs great.... really strong, no bogging, no smoke. its just that once it cools down or sits without running for over an hour or so its almost impossible to get to start up again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very wet... we tried pulling it over a few times without plugs in at all and each time there is a puff of air and fuel mixture shooting out of each cylinder. we have also verified that each plug has spark as well by watching it. this is what really has us scratching our heads... its getting fuel, air and spark but wont turn over... even if we put in new plugs it is very rare that it will fire and by then we are exhausted from pulling it so much.

thanks for your help :)

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Are the plugs wet with fuel, or coolant? Is it using coolant? Take the plugs out and pull it over with your hand over the plug hole and let the mist hit your hand. Does it smell like anti freeze? (checking for head gasket here). If not, the carbs are AFU. Put in new plugs and pull it over , no choke. see if it does anything.

·
Registered
282 Posts
once again... good ol' tripples, hehe. heres an idea... install electric start. lol, just joking. just thought i'd try and make ya laugh. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
with the hard to pull side of it try taking off your belt before you start it. i had a 700 that was a bear to start. turned out the belt was dragging just slightly. not enough to notice but you really noticed after it was gone. it went from 15 pulls to 2!! if that is it you may want to have the clutches ajusted, or just pull the belt off everytime you have to start it when its cold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check your compression

Sounds like your compression is low. I don't know what the "norm" is for your engine, but I'm sure someone on here knows or you could search for it. BTW, how many miles on it?

I have an 800 triple that starts 2nd pull every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright... so today i went home and worked on it for a while... tried several of the suggestions above. It wasnt spitting any coolant, and the belt was able to sit there without putting any unneeded pressure on it the engine. After a bit i decided to pull the carbs off and open them up and rebuild them and check to make sure the chokes were actually doing something. When i pulled the carbs off i noticed that the big long cylinder thing attached to the throttle cable (i cant come up with a technical term for this to save my life) had a pretty big gap under it. So i loosened the top part of it on the outside of the carb and lowered it down a little further closing the gap a little, i believe this made the air route through the choke more effectively instead of being able to pass right through the main chamber. I also adjusted the choke some so it would open and close better. I did this to all 3 carbs. the middle carb had a huge gap at idle and i believe that when we were trying to start it, it was just flooding out, but sometimes we were able to catch it. Anyways i got it all back together and it fired up on the 3rd pull. Now it idles right at 1500rpm instead of 2500rpm.

for the rest of the day i would let it sit for an hour or 2 and it would start up again on the first pull. we are going to let it sit outside in the cold overnight and see if it starts tomorrow morning for the real test.

i'll keep yall posted

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure you get those slides in sync with each other since you adjusted them. Meaning when you pull the throttle they all move at exactly the same time. Also make sure they go all the way up in the carb at wide open throttle. This will make that tripple run very well. It sounds like maybe your choke was out of adjustment, but it is hard to say.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that seems to have been the problem... it starts right up now.

only thing that is new is that when it is running it is very smokey. im thinking that it is just some of the carb cleaner that we mixed with the gas and that is just burning through. I used the same stuff on my jeep's carb and it worked nicely and the bottle said it can be used in 2 stroke engines and carbs as well. its a really white smoke, with no other odor than normal but its really thick. its not burning or using coolant or anything and i never touched any of the mixture or oil mixture things when playing with the carbs...

that is all

·
Registered
170 Posts
You should find a buddy that knows how to sync carbs and get him a box of beer for his effort.

Could save you alot of $$$ in the long run!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My triple is doing the same thing. Only thing is it seems to be very hard on plugs. I almost have to change the plugs everytime I ride. I may check the antifreeze thing because it seems to be using some. I just rebuilt mine and it was running fine. And then it seems to have this thing about hard starting. And it's a bit hard to troubleshoot because they are very hard to pull over a number of times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts