Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
XCFreakinnn RRRR Baby
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my voltage reg replaced on my 99 polaris xcr 700. started it and lost everything electrical.....the hand and thumb warmers work and the sled runs but nothing else works... the gas guage quit also...which is electrical....please help!!!

·
Live to ride
2,682 Posts
what voltage regulator did you get. If I remember right those sleds are picky about their regulators.

I think it has to be from polaris and not one you would get from DK for example

·
Registered
608 Posts
disconnect the wire going to the regulator and start and idle the engine . If your lights now work the regulator is shorted. Do not run the engine above idle when you have the regulator disconnected because if you do you will burn out your bulbs because the voltage will get too high.

·
XCFreakinnn RRRR Baby
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pulled left rear taillight and front lecft headlight and both are gone..blown...i am gonna have to find a oem regulator....cant get ahold of the guy that replaced it..supposable he also replaced all the lights as well.. i am gonna start shopping around and see what i can find...any suggestions...and is there a fuseable link in line somewhere as well

·
XCFreakinnn RRRR Baby
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
was trying to figure out wherer the short is and my thumb warmer caught the handle bar on fire.....just melted the throttle a bit but i am lost....may have to pay 65 hr to figure it out please help.....me.....:(

·
Registered
608 Posts
The voltage is too high. The stator is normally able to produce more energy than the sled needs especially at high rpm . The regulator works to shunt away the excess voltage to ground. sort of like a bullet hole in the side of a 45 gallon drum, you pour water in but it never spills over the top.

In order for the regulator to work properly it must be bolted tight to a clean rust free area of the chassis and the yellow wire must be making a good contact. If yours is making a good contact then the regulator is defective, it and the bulbs must be replaced..........again

·
XCFreakinnn RRRR Baby
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and that would be the reason for the thumb warmer fire????

·
XCFreakinnn RRRR Baby
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
90.00....60 for new volt reg....2 head light 4 TL and i am gonna work on dash lights today....4 hrs total went fot 30 min ride at 1130pm last night and everything is good including the 2 ft of fresh powder we got in 6 hrs :) thanks for all everyones help,,,,,,,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts