Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey figured I'd try this out..asked around on social media was getting the cold shoulder..my problem is i just got my sled back (99 xc 500) non ves motor..its been sitting for 5 years because last time i took it for a ride it doing the same thing not getting up to speed bogging out, I even put brand new reeds in thinking that was it... SO now I'm back got it at my place, first off I drained the tank completely was full of milky watery gas, cleaned the carbs and all jets (flat slide carbs) put them all back in the right spots, cleaned the fuel pump noticed it was full of dirt so cleaned it wouldn't start..then I noticed the fuel pump let gas down the pulse line so I cleared the line drained the crank..it starts up great! Idles like nothing around 700 rpms..doesnt die out so the next thing I did was remove the skid..i replaced some bearings made sure others were good and rolling freely! Next i greased the hole sled! Everything..put some chain case oil in, coolant burped you name it..changed both secondary and primary clutches..went to hop on for a test drive...same thing is happening wont get up to speed..have to almost feather the gas to get it to go a bit..it will pick up only to about 35 mph and wont rev higher then 6500 rpms..I'm getting super frustrated the sleds in great shape over all..was recently rebuilt the year my father in law got it was good for a year and a half then started to act up...thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also the new clutches are both used so I'm really thinking it's the primary? Any ideas help though

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Bogging could be a number of things. If you just put used clutches on did you change the primary and secondary springs with new? And did you replace the secondary buttons and clean the helix as well? If not I would do that. Also the belt deflection could be off along with the clutch alignment. Here is a link to a '99 Service Manual that will help as well. Clean the clutches with a scotch brite pad as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bogging could be a number of things. If you just put used clutches on did you change the primary and secondary springs with new? And did you replace the secondary buttons and clean the helix as well? If not I would do that. Also the belt deflection could be off along with the clutch alignment. Here is a link to a '99 Service Manual that will help as well. Clean the clutches with a scotch brite pad as well.

No I haven't inspected them was just told "they worked great on my sled but they sat"..so that's what il do next..il clean the primary up and I have a brand new secondary spring i just got from my dealer Il throw in this secondary while inspecting it..and get back to everyone thanks!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Make sure you replace those secondary buttons as well. As that can contribute to clutch issues as well. I would replace the primary spring as well and a new belt if you have one then set the deflection and make sure the clutches are aligned correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Question for you..one plug was wet one was dry...there is a ton of black build up in my pistons, do you think its possible it's getting too much oil causing it to keep fouling plugs? Should I try to adjust the oil pump for a bit..mayne the guy bumped it up for the "break in"

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Use this as a chart for spark plug reading. Set the oil pump to what the manual says. If anything he may have added some to the gas tank, just about everyone does that for the first couple tank fulls to make sure it gets enough oil while breaking it in.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Compression check? Bet the clutch side is around 90 or less

·
Registered
265 Posts
One wet plug one dry usually means the fuel pump is bad and needs rebuilt. Which plug is wet? or on a more rare issue the wet side reeds are junk..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts