Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last weekend bombing around I come across a guy on an old late 60's early 70's sled dual tracks single ski. well he rolled it and broke his ski off. So I do the nice thing and start towing him back to his place. my temp light came on so I stopped and told him I was to hot. I unhook and hit the powder light goes out. Now when ever I go out the light comes on did last 2 times. so I am stumped. I put snow on my temp sensor and the light goes out, so sensor is working. I pulled the hose off the the thermostat housing and blew into the hose towards the exchanger. Thats when I noticed coolant coming out the thermostat housing. That shouldn't happen stat is closed so off comes the housing stat is stuck open. replace stat . I fired it up for a quick second to see if the water pump was working and coolant came out of the thermostat hole (thermostat still out) shut it down waited 4 hours before I had a chance to put in new stat. All together now but won't start. I noticed coolant had splashed onto my air box and trickled down to the carbs. I took the air box off and there is a residue of coolant in them. also noticed coolant in my why pipe. where do I go from here now. I figure I fouled the plugs as it wanted to start. you figure coolant went throught the carb and out the exhaust or did the heat due damage. Temp I got last nite was 182 on the head... NEED IDEAS :dunno:

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
SOunds like a head gasket went out on it. Does the exhaust have a sweet smell? Are the heat exchangers getting hot?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
SOunds like a head gasket went out on it. Does the exhaust have a sweet smell? Are the heat exchangers getting hot?
I was kind of thinking the same thing. can't smell the exhause but the heat exchangers are not hot. It does make sense I will try new gaskets anyone no proper tourque and the base gasket ?? what do you figure leave it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I replaced the gaskets and fired it up runs good all the coolant and such was burning off.. starts much easier now my boy can even start it now.. He is just running it in the field as I type to see if it is good. I ran it on a jack front in the air for abit to get the air out heat exchangers are getting warm now so I think I may have gotten it.. I will let you know..Thanks SEG

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I replaced the gaskets and fired it up runs good all the coolant and such was burning off.. starts much easier now my boy can even start it now.. He is just running it in the field as I type to see if it is good. I ran it on a jack front in the air for abit to get the air out heat exchangers are getting warm now so I think I may have gotten it.. I will let you know..Thanks SEG
Well I put on about a 60km on the sled this weekend and no light and engine isn't getting hot.. Problem fixed thanks SEG:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts