Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
SLP Boost bottle to even out the pressure between the carbs. EPI, Goodwin or something similar clutch kit. However with it being a RMK it is going to be geared for mountain riding and not trails/speed. To really get the best out of it I would find a gear set and chain from a '99 600 and put those in there combined with the other two items. Then you would get the most out of it for top end speed. Otherwise right now it is geared for said mountain riding along with the weights setup for mountain riding. IIRC EPI makes a complete kit with weights, springs and helix. I would also do a rebuild on the primary and have it balanced if you go that route as Polaris Primary Clutches are not known for being balanced from factory all that well. Make sure when you change gears/chain you use AMSOIl, Polaris, Klotz or something similar in a Full Synthetic Chaincase Oil as that is OEM.

Administrator
Like Coolhand said. You don't go super fast on a long track deep lug RMK, it's not what they were made for. I have had 7 RMK's and an SKS, I don't think any of them could make triple digits unless they fell off a cliff. The single ply track on some of the newer sleds is not even rated for over 80. The length of the track and the depth of the lug are just too much to overcome to make a lot of top speed.

It's also a lot about gearing. With the stock ratio of 19/40, speed at a 1:1 ratio in the clutching (fully shifted) and at 8000 RPM, speed will be about 81.6 mph. You can get everything working perfectly, but to go faster at that RPM, you have to change the ratio in the chaincase. Changing up one tooth on the top sprocket and down one tooth on the bottom (20/39) will gain you about 5 mph top speed at 8000 rpm (and you should be able to keep the existing chain.

But remember, if you increase the top speed, you will lose off the line acceleration. There is always a trade-off.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SLP Boost bottle to even out the pressure between the carbs. EPI, Goodwin or something similar clutch kit. However with it being a RMK it is going to be geared for mountain riding and not trails/speed. To really get the best out of it I would find a gear set and chain from a '99 600 and put those in there combined with the other two items. Then you would get the most out of it for top end speed. Otherwise right now it is geared for said mountain riding along with the weights setup for mountain riding. IIRC EPI makes a complete kit with weights, springs and helix. I would also do a rebuild on the primary and have it balanced if you go that route as Polaris Primary Clutches are not known for being balanced from factory all that well. Make sure when you change gears/chain you use AMSOIl, Polaris, Klotz or something similar in a Full Synthetic Chaincase Oil as that is OEM.
Anything else just to make it preform better?

Registered
A complete set of reeds like from Boyseon with their cage and what not and there is a couple other makers for that stuff as well. Check out Parts Unlimited Snow catalog online you can take the part numbers wherever for that reed setup and possibly get it cheaper. Other then what I and dan said that is about it. It is a SKS so unless you change that stuff it will be setup for mountain riding. The EPI kits as there are two one with weights one without. Either way I think a clutch rebuild with the proper primary spring, secondary spring and a helix with new buttons will always make a difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A complete set of reeds like from Boyseon with their cage and what not and there is a couple other makers for that stuff as well. Check out Parts Unlimited Snow catalog online you can take the part numbers wherever for that reed setup and possibly get it cheaper. Other then what I and dan said that is about it. It is a SKS so unless you change that stuff it will be setup for mountain riding. The EPI kits as there are two one with weights one without. Either way I think a clutch rebuild with the proper primary spring, secondary spring and a helix with new buttons will always make a difference.

Ok thanks. Should I go for the boyessen or the other one? Couldn鈥檛 find a clutch kit for it tho. And didn鈥檛 look too hard for a boost bottle. Thanks again!

Registered
No do NOT buy from walmart. Buy from someplace like Dennis Kirk or Parts Unlimited or Amazon or eBay.

Boyesson or V-Force is what I would use

V-Force below

Amazon.com: V-Force/Moto Tassinari V-Force3 Reeds Pol Twin V3130-794A-2 : Automotive

Boyesen. I can tell you the -2 is the old model they had. The new model is RAD65-3

Boyesen RAD65-2 Rage Cage | eBay

For the price I would be going V-Force but please don't buy from Walmart or one of their sellers. Get it from one of the links I provided those are all powersports stores and I've dealt with each of those 3 sellers at one point in the past few years with no issues

SLP Bottle a few there from 62 bucks and nice looking used to 75 dollars new in package

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No do NOT buy from walmart. Buy from someplace like Dennis Kirk or Parts Unlimited or Amazon or eBay.

Boyesson or V-Force is what I would use

V-Force below

Amazon.com: V-Force/Moto Tassinari V-Force3 Reeds Pol Twin V3130-794A-2 : Automotive

Boyesen. I can tell you the -2 is the old model they had. The new model is RAD65-3

Boyesen RAD65-2 Rage Cage | eBay

For the price I would be going V-Force but please don't buy from Walmart or one of their sellers. Get it from one of the links I provided those are all powersports stores and I've dealt with each of those 3 sellers at one point in the past few years with no issues

SLP Bottle a few there from 62 bucks and nice looking used to 75 dollars new in package

Alright thanks man! I really appreciate it馃憣

Registered

Great book for parts numbers. I still have sales adds from a ton of places going back to the late '90s because of them having part numbers in them in case I need something that isn't being sold on a website I can take it to eBay and usually find it there if I keep looking now and then.

Registered
Been sick all day in bed with a raging migraine so haven't even been on the internet. Will try to look tomorrow when I feel better. I know they are out there just gotta go look for it. Just really can't right now with my vision affected.

Registered
List of clutch kits are at the link below from EPI. Look for year and model. TP means trail performance and has both springs & helix. Pro means comes with weights and is more aggressive.

I think this one below is the trail one. I would call them and tell them exactly what you have and if you have VES or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
List of clutch kits are at the link below from EPI. Look for year and model. TP means trail performance and has both springs & helix. Pro means comes with weights and is more aggressive.

I think this one below is the trail one. I would call them and tell them exactly what you have and if you have VES or not.

[

Will they fit mine for sure?

Administrator
Why don't you call EPI and ask them? I'm sure they can tell you, they are really great at taking customer questions.

I've used EPI clutch kits on a couple of sleds, and was happy with both.

Registered
As we both said call EPI they will tell you right away. It says for '99 600 but I always double check with EPI when I order stuff from them just easier and they will help you without a problem even if you don't order it from them.

Registered
My Primary is a SLP and secondary is EPI with the helix a QA-2 which is a quad helix but I can tell you they will NOT tell you what angles their helixes are and I cant' blame them. We have figured out the QA-2 is roughly 34-36-38-40 and the QA-3 is 36-38-40-42. Been looking for a long time for another set of both as they are NLA but everyone holds on to them and I can't blame them one bit. Polaris also made a Tri-Helix that is really nice but same thing people hold on to them. One thing I am doing is switching out the EPI Purple Secondary spring and going back to a Polaris Black which is the same as the Gold just newer model. Want to try that for a season with the SLP Primary I have. I run both snowmobiles with the same setup a '98 Indy 440 L/C and my '97 Indy 500 only diff for now is that secondary spring but that will change quickly when I get over there to take out the suspension and replace all the studs. Oh how much fun that is going to be on a cold concrete floor in Northeast Wisconsin in December! Hopefully no bogie wheel bearings are bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts