Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 powder special 700. I noticed last weekend when I tried to stop the slead killed. Then when I started it again it started moving right away. I inspected the drive clutch and noticed that a part inside the clutch (spider gear? or just spider) had a crack in it. I am guessing that this is what is causing my sled to do this. I am a buget minded person (cheep) and like to do things on my own to keep expences down. How can I fix this keeping in mind that I only paid $1000 for the sled. Do i need a whole new clutch, can i buy the broken piece and replace it my self? Can I have the broken piece welded? Is there too much involved for a shade tree mechanic to do without special tools? any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Tools to fix it are $200 or so, and if your spider is broken, most likely the rest of the clutch is shot. IMO I would get a dealer to pull your clutch or buy a puller and pull it yourself, and then check it out to see what is worthwhile. You can buy a new clutch for a reasonable price Welcome - CatDeals.com You'll need to put your weights and spring into that clutch. Your weights are probably shot, or at least one of them will be. You'll need to take at least one out to determine what size to buy.

·
Super Moderator
17,874 Posts
I have found used AC clutches on ebay from time to time for less than 150 bucks. Like JDS said, if the spider is broken, there are likely more bad parts than good in the old clutch. Unlike Polaris clutches, you can buy the spider assembly separately and repair it. The price is about $154, just for the spider. Add that to the cost of the tools ($200) and you can get a pretty good used clutch for less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the clutch is more then likely shot. I can buy a clutch puller for about $20. I can buy a used clutch for $150. The sled has a rubber gromit on the side of the bellypan. I am assuming that is where i insert the clutch puller to get to the clutch. Will the clutch come out without having to remove the engine? Will I need a special tool to install the "new" clutch? I am not even sure how the clutch is attached! Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
just about every cat 9 tower that comes to me for a rebuild is toast, you can put a new spider on it, but then the clutch will not be balanced!!!! i put polaris clutches on to replace the cat 9 towers the weights and spring will work out of our cat and all you will have to do is get a different bolt for the clutch.. the polatis cl;utches last a lot longer and are not prone to the cracking like the 9 towers are...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yup, i agree. The cat 9 tower clutches are known for cracking everywhere. I have 3 of them in my shop and 1 of them the spider is cracked and the other 2 the sheaves have cracks. I have seen some of the newer 6 tower cat clutches on ebay without the spring and cam arms. Pretty sure your arms and spring will fit right in there if they are still good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I can get a polaris clutch and put that on? or do I bet a newer 6 tower cat clutch and then replace the spring and cam arms from my old one? Do I need any special tools other than the clutch puller?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
So does the p85 fit right on? Are there different shaft sizes of the p85? I've got a polaris p85 on my yamaha vmax, it would be nice to have the same clutch on the AC!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I found a six tower clutch on eBay off of a Polaris. They said it work on a arctic cat. It has the same size shaft. Would I need a different size main bolt to tighten the clutch down? Would the same weights and spring work from my old nine tower clutch? Anyone know of any deals out there on a six tower clutch? My price range is between 150 to180

Thanks for all of your posts,
Peter

We are getting snow by the bucket loads and the sled is broke.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, So I got the clutch off. Now I have a person that has a clutch for me. it is off of a 96 580 efi arctic cat sled. It has differant part numbers than my clutch does:

my clutch number part number:
0725-280

580 clutch part number:
0725-173

If someone could let me know if this would work, that would be great!

Also, if the price is right would a 9 tower clutch be ok? We ride about 200 miles or less a winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts