Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 Powder special 600 EFI 2 stroke, and it starts with one pull at -30, warms up with smooth steady idle. then i start riding and it will run and make excellent power but only for so long, then once the engine revs to 6-7000 RPM it bogs like its choking its self out and if you hold it pinned , it bogs down to 1-2000RPM then it takes off like nothings wrong back up to 6-7000RPM. but if you fether the throttle up to 6-7000RPM it will die out until 4000 then start to pick up until 6-7000, if i let off the throttle compleatly it will come down to a idle and run fine. i replaced the fuel pump, pickups, plugs, new fuel lines, no loose grounds..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would put a pressure guage on to check what's happening with the fuel.

Splice it in before the fuel rail, i made mine with a 48" hose so i could fish the guage thru the vents and mount (tape) it too the handle bars so I could see it when I was riding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it was dumpin to much fuel it then the plugs would be wet when it acts up and i immediatly take both plugs out. but they are dry, i unpluged the kill switch along time ago too... what pressure should i be looking for while riding. and where is the fuel press. reg.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Dude, we're having the same problem it sounds like. My machine does this same thing. Acts like pluggs are fouled, but they come out dry and hot! I hope we can figure it out. I just about ordered a new pump, but I might wait. I'm gonna install my guage again and run it and see if i can get the problem to come back and check my guage. I'll let you know what I find out. Do you find that if you turn your machine off. let it sit a few minutes, then restart, you'll have full power for a little bit, but then it sputters back out? Sorry about your struggles...

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Well, I figured out my problem. My stator is dead...again. Check your ohm reading on your stator. My 450 ohm coil only read 26.5. I can't believe it still ran! I was have the same symtoms as you so maybe we have the same problem. Get with Blaine on here for help with checking the stator out. He really knows his stuff!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i find that if i leave it for a few hours it will run better then before i shut it off. this led me to a heat problem but that search ended quick. after i put the new fuel pump, pick ups ect. in it ran for 5-6 hours straight of hard riding, then on my way back to my house it started to act up... if i were to check the ohm reading on the coil am i looking for 450 ohms aswell?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Your looking for 450, 400, and 45. Roughly. All checked at the 3 wire connection on the stator. Blaine1 has how to vids and knows the exact specs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i got 49 ohms on one coil. and cant get a reading for the other coil. my DDM dosnt show anything. so either that coil on the stator is 100% done, or something else is the issue... but if that coil was dead, then why would it still run. i changed the ignition coil, but i only got a few mins to test. seemed to run excellent... ill keep yall posted as i progress

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Just put mine back together. Had Blaine rewind stator and all seems good to go! Hoping the coil fixes yours!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well that didnt work. fired it up today and it would barly move before it started to bogg and die. start again with one pull. rev up to engage the cluch then do it again... so i ordered a stator from blaine... i sure hope that will fix it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so i got the stator out, and it looks like someone took a blow torch to it. its all black and flaking apart. i cant believe it still ran... good ol arctic cat. never gives up

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Mine looked just like that also. Really is amazing they still ran!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well the new stator is in. and i fired it up in my shop and it ran perfect... BUT THEN when i was on a test tour. it was running awsome! then about 30 mins in. it suddenly quit. no back firing or bogging, just up and quit, so after messin around, i found when i pulled it, the head light wouldnt try to come to life like it usally did. so i unplugged the 2 yellow wires leading to my tach, lights, ect.. and it fired right up and ran strong all day! any ideas whats goin on there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
well that didnt work. fired it up today and it would barly move before it started to bogg and die. start again with one pull. rev up to engage the cluch then do it again... so i ordered a stator from blaine... i sure hope that will fix it.
I had the same problem on my 98 Efi. I replaced the computer since I had a parts sled and then I figured out it was my tss or killswitch so I replaced the whole throttle on the handlebars and it started right up and ran great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts