Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! New to the forum I have a 99 Phazer that will not start when it's cold you can pull it over forever, fuel is good carbs are cleaned any ideas on what to check? if you add fuel through the intake Box or in cylinders fires right up and will run great. Fuel is new carbs were just cleaned. thanks for any info! Chris

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Welcome
Go back into the carbs, remove the pilot jet (up the tube) remove air screw clean the passages
Adjust the float to shut off at 'Level'
Clean/rebuild fuel pump and replace all the fuel lines
Adjust the choke cable to have a slight bit of play
Start with fresh Prem with Sea Foam and fresh plugs

·
Registered
62 Posts
he already said he cleaned them. There should be three cables going in at the top of the carb two of those are your choke (one going to each carb). The other going to a side unit on one of the carbs, that is your throttle. Adjust the nuts.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just because you cleaned them once doesn't mean you didn't miss something, it doesn't mean since then a small piece of varnish you missed is causing issues. KC also has spent a tone of time messing with the Phazer and SRV and Enticers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I will redo the carbs. How to in adjust the choke cables properly, is there a spec? I can not find much info online. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
You just need to be able to pull up on the outer cable itself and have free play
a 1/16" is enough, just as long as the plunger is bottomed out, not too much and it wont close.
But go back in and spray and blow out all the passages and adjust your float to 'Level'

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I tried to adjust the chokes with the choke lever in the off/run position and i was not able to get all the slack out of the cable to get the 16th of an inch play in the cable without the adjusting nut unthreatening from the carb. Does this mean the cables have stretched out?? I rechecked the carbs and they are clean still. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
The cable adjuster should be more than enough to adjust even a streched cable
Remember the choke is spring loaded 'off', the cable just needs to lift it a 1/8"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I think I screwed up my original post and said 91 phazer yet it actually is a 99 phazer. I went back through the carbs they were spotless. Set floats to level, adjusted choke and replaced spark plugs. There was some water in the fuel, I drained and replaced with fresh fuel and I still can't get this thing to start with the choke it will only start if I add fuel to it! What am I missing? Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes they are set with 1/8 of play at the lever. Not sure if it is correct? Floats are set to level. Runs good off idle but wont idle on its own. Not sure if there is a bit of bad fuel left in pump and carbs that needs to be worked out or if I screwed up an adjustment??

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Also I have cleaned the fuel pump but not rebuilt, and checked the in tank fuel filter. Engine will idle for a short period of time then need to be choked for a second to keep it running. It also has a bog off from idle sometimes you need to pump the throttle. It seems like it runs out of fuel while idling. It still won't start with the choke keep needing to add fuel to start every time. Checked pulse line and it is clear. I did notice when blowing it through pulse line fitting on engine block you can hear a gurgling. Are there drain plugs on the block somewhere? Wondering if this is affecting the vac to fuel pump?? Compression is 130 on both cylinders. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both looked good, I removed and cleaned them but were not really dirty. I also blew back through the tank from the line to pump back into the fuel tank and found no restriction.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a vacuum gage on the pulse line and there is plenty of movement in the needle on gage. I also bypassed fuel tank and filters and put a supply line from fuel source to fuel pump and no fuel is being picked up. I am leaning to a fuel pump issue but the diaphragms all looked good???? I did get a lot of water out of the tank probably 3 gallons and 1/3 being water from tank could this have damaged the diaphragms in the fuel pump possibly???

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Could have damaged the pump itself!
The little washers go over a post to hold them on and if frozen can break off
Pitting of the seat that seals with the plastic washer may be the problem!
Try a different pump!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just replced the fuel pump and can get it to start but there is definitely way too much fuel now! What is the float setting?? I set it to "level" but now I'm not sure that is correct? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts