Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it last year and trying to change gear oil and notice screw is stripped. Not even able to see if it is a alan key or other tool. Any suggestions on getting it out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the drain plug, it looks like a T30 tool or 7/32 alan key, so small dont think a easy out tool is made for this

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 mm alan is closest fit and its all I need to do and trying to get out as we had a great snow fall and its first ride. Oil too dirty and taking engine out is too timely. Any band aid remedies?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It will be a little messy, but just take the bolts loose around the chain case and drain it out the side. That will get you back up and going until you have more time in spring.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
you talkin about the chaincase or crankcase?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its the crankcase and the brake is right there so taking bolts off the side is a no go, also got a fancy can in there too. I think the only way is to drill and tap a new bolt in. Just worried I wont get all the burrs out. The oil is thick & ugly. The last owner never changed it from the looks of it. I'll wait an hour and see if I get another reply then I'll JUST DO IT and get rocking for a few hours. Thx for ur inputs appreciate them all. CHEERS!

·
Super Moderator
16,788 Posts
The only oil you will change on a snowmobile is the chaincase oil. If you can't get the chain case drain plug out, remove the can, tilt the sled on it's side away from the chaincase, and remove the chaincase cover. Then you can suck it out with the wife's turkey baster. )You will probably want to go get another one of those to replace the oily one, just to be a nice guy ;) ) I use a suction gun about the size of a grease gun, it works well for that...

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Its the crankcase and the brake is right there so taking bolts off the side is a no go, also got a fancy can in there too. I think the only way is to drill and tap a new bolt in. Just worried I wont get all the burrs out. The oil is thick & ugly. The last owner never changed it from the looks of it. I'll wait an hour and see if I get another reply then I'll JUST DO IT and get rocking for a few hours. Thx for ur inputs appreciate them all. CHEERS!
If you're changing oil on a two-stroke snowmobile, I think you are referring to the chaincase. Not the crankcase..

But if you are referring to the crank, and you have thick oily oil inside your bottom end, you may have another problem..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts