Snowmobile Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
You are just going to have to rebuild it and either have those cylinders re-plated or have it bored out. My suggestion would be Indy Specialties or US Chrome. If you send them the oversize pistons they will match everything up perfectly or you can buy pistons from them. Or you need to find a good used engine and just throw that one on the side for spare parts or a future rebuild.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Would it be possible if rusty bearings could cause that offset? I should find out tomorrow what it looks like, but most likely rusted as so far gas, oil, crank case have all been full of water.

this is getting expensive

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
It's hard to say, it should be pretty evident when you get it apart. Getting submerged is almost always death to an engine unless steps to get the water out are taken pretty much immediately. Once the rust gets hold, anything that is steel and iron in the block will need to be replaced, which is usually the bearings/crank, and piston rings.

You may be able to locate an engine from a wrecked sled and install that and then part out what you have left of yours that is useful to help offset the cost... the 600 was pretty plentiful back in that day, it should not take too much to find one.

Good luck on your decision, it's hard to say which will be cheaper...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Is there any possible way to have an idea of the condition of the crank from just looking down through the top of it? I don’t have a flywheel or clutch puller nor a somewhat indoors place to work. Here’s what it looks like from the top of the case. The rods seem to move very smoothly, and the rings have 0 rust on them.
Moka pot Helmet Kitchen appliance Drinkware Gas

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
I'd put it back together with new base gaskets and head O rings and run it. Smooth is the key. Usually you will feel rust on the ball bearings, especially when the rods don't have to push the piston up and down in the cylinder. You may have gotten lucky.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts