Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a ‘99 600 RMK for $600. It’s going to need a good bit of work to make it snow worthy. It currently looks like someone sunk it in a lake, (aesthetically and under the hood)
On the 3rd pull I gave the the knot untied on the handle. After taking the pipe off to figure out what issues I had going on and to access the recoil almost a half gallon of water poured out.
Tomorrow im going to start draining the engine, and hopefully with some cleaned carbs plus fresh fuel and oil. I’ll get it to run for a few seconds at least.

Currently my plan of action is to drain gas, oil, and maybe coolant? Then clean the fuel pump, get a new fuel filter and lines. Grease the jackshaft bearings, new track slides. I’m going to also buy some decent powder skis for it as the current skis are twisted.
Both bumpers are either gone or cracked, so I’ll be getting some new ones, plus about $25 in random odds and ends. But most importantly, I need to get rid of that metal box on the back!
The electric start was removed which is fine with me, but they also removed the keyed ignition switch. Can I buy any correct oem ignition switch and key and plug it right in?

If you guys have any other suggestions on things I should check or repair that would be great.

Currently I’m torn between keeping it, or selling it around PFD week, and picking up a few extra project sleds

·
Administrator
19,352 Posts
If it had water in the crankcase for a long time, it's very likely the crank bearings are rusted. That will be no fun and will cost more to repair than you paid for the sled. That would be the first thing to check...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was just thinking about that, and your right it’s not worth much, so maybe I’ll just use it as a parts sled and get something else to work on.
I wish I realized it was flooded with water before I bought it.
But I’ll crack it open and see what I’m dealing with if it’s a rusty corroded mess it’s defiantly a lost cause, but if it doesn’t look too bad I might look into repairing it.

Surprisingly enough with a few shots of ether the guy I bought it from got it going for a second or two.
Not sure if this means anything, but it does pull over fairly smothly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After pulling the drain plugs water poured out. I’ll probably just find a new used crank off eBay. I’m going to start taking apart the coolant system and breaking down the engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea there’s several 6 700cc gen 2 and edge rmk part machines for sale around, but with what I got going on right now at home I wouldn’t be able to get one till next week.
That would probably be the best option considering I need quite a few parts.
Would you guys recommend I change out the brake fluid also, considering the machines been under water?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sounds like a plan. Today I also got to ordering new fluids for everything, gaskets for fuel pump and engine, fuel lines, oil lines, oil filter and fuel filter. I’m going to hopefully drain most of the fluids tommorow Ill worry about the brakes after I get it running. Then hopefully the day after that I’ll get the motor mostly disassembled, and start ordering engine parts I need.
If there is light rust on the cylinder walls will honing them get rid of that?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a crap load of other things going on and didn’t have time to work on the sled but had a few minutes today. I checked for spark with a rope around the clutch, it looked okay.
I got fresh gas and oil in it, I wrapped the rope around the clutch again, and I couldn’t get it more than a stroke every 1/2second or so.

Is there some special trick to getting this to work or do I just need someone who can pull harder?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
At this point not worth it till you split the crankcase and find out exactly is wrong otherwise you might end up causing more damage and costing you more money down the line. Any time a snowmobile goes under water like that you should tear the entire engine compartment and engine down & start over fresh. Doesn't take long for that stuff to rust up in lake water after a couple hours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I couldn’t get much done today with sports and it started pouring rain about 1/2hr after I started.
After taking the head plate off I noticed there was a considerably larger gap on the right side than the left. This is the case in both cylinders.
Liquid Automotive tire Water Fluid Automotive lighting

Will the gap re align itself when the engine is on?
And thank you guys for all you help, this is quite amazing to have this help as none of my friends or family is into engines. I am hoping to learn how to take this thing apart and put it back together so in the future I can get a few more sleds to work on and do myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts