Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 zr600efi and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a stator cheaper than the dealer?? They want $425.00 what a rip off:mad:

Symptoms: When the machine is cold I can get full rpm, but when it warms up I can only get like 6500 rpm out of her and it sounds like it's missing on one of the cyliders. I could only get about 65 m.p.r. out of her on Sunday:mad: Talked to the dealer and they said that 98's where notorious for the stator going out. I'm going to do a compression test first to see what the cyliders are at and go from there, any help would be great!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
first you need a manual and a multimeter. There are 5 coils on the stator, you need to measure each to see if one went bad.the book will give you good step by step tobleshooting.if everything checks good bring it in and put it on the analyzer. Good luck.also if stator is bad check and see if 97zr580efi stator will work. I'm parting mine out and my stator is two years old and the updated version. I will sell it for $250 plus $10 handling and shipping

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
when its warmed up.. how much voltage do you get out of the front light at high RPM.. 3000 or so ?
thats doesn't sound like a stator to me.. but hey check it anyway

sounds more like maybe the CDI or ignition coils

stator that go bad get less voltage to the sled so the front light gets dim and fade

a CDI box with a faulty transistor can go bad when it's warmed up..so do igition coils.

if you got a good output voltage to the front light( its bright as normal) then its something else.

fr0st

1 - 3 of 3 Posts