Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am interested in a ZR600.....
I found one (pretty sure its NOT efi) with 2000 miles. I called the guy and asked him how much. His response was $1700(ad said $1600. I asked him what shape its in...he said it only has 2K on it. It's perfect. Now i have a '97 580 EXT EFI deluxe and I would ask more than what this guy is asking.....My question is why is this guy selling this sled for so cheap? Was this a bad year for the ZR600? IF i go to look, what should I look for in regards to shape etc? (what should compression be?) The price sounds too good to be true don't you think???

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
actually, the 98 zr600 is the most popular zr out. everyone makes every kind of performance part for it imaginable. check for a bent tunnel, messed up cowl, a-arms/shocks, track, heat exchangers, and make sure the motor is firing right. I prolly missed something, but im sure someone else will post what i missed along with more info

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
I think $1700 souns about right for the 98 ZR 6. I love my 500 and have had no problems with it aside from a bad circuit on my handlebars last year that caused some headache and powerloss... but with 5k miles on mine I would buy another one just like it if I could find one still in the box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buy it

I think that is a great deal for a ZR6 of that year. My pappy and grand pappy both ride zr's. I ride skidoo. I would for sure check the mikuni carbs. Many guys adjust these to get more horse and it ruins the hand warmers. And the pipe wont get as hot if you cook food on it.

Thanks

Pray for snow in central IA!!:confused:

·
Administrator
1,152 Posts
Re: Buy it

dooboyIA said:
I think that is a great deal for a ZR6 of that year. My pappy and grand pappy both ride zr's. I ride skidoo. I would for sure check the mikuni carbs. Many guys adjust these to get more horse and it ruins the hand warmers. And the pipe wont get as hot if you cook food on it.

Thanks

Pray for snow in central IA!!:confused:
So your saying that you ruined your handwarmers by playing with the carbs? Thats interesting... and in addition adjusting the carbs made it harder to cook hotdogs on your muffler? I don't know about you but I prefer a gas grill or a restaurant for my food. :)

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
poor year....

my buddy has a zr 600 and a select few of these had major problems. There was a recall on some of them and they basically dropped in an entire new engine, my buddy bought it just rebuilt and hes blew it up another 2 times in about 2-300 miles, some of them were good and some were pour, the 99's were much better, they perfected them a little better, i got a 99 zl600 and it runs like a dream. btu ya tell me how you do with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had a 99 ZR 600 EFI and it ran good but i don't know a thing about the 98's look the same but i am sure they changed something on them

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ooooh...'98 was a bad year for the 600 engine. You may want to rethink that choice. If ya get a good one tho, it's a great sled.

As far as those pipe cooker thingies, you can forget about it...those don't belong in the sport of snowmobiling.

ride hard!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts