Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a lot of technical knowledge about Snowmobiles in general, but this is what my 1998 Arctic Cat ZR600 EFI is doing:

I finally got my sled out for the first time this year a couple days ago. It seemed to run great for a while, then the power started diminishing more and more til I didn't trust it anymore. When this happened, I parked it and let it sit for a half hour. When I went to start it back up, it acted like it was flooded and would not start (even after a couple hundred pulls...my shoulders hurt like hell now) I figured the spark plugs were fouled, so I let it sit over night. The next day I put brand new plugs in it, and this is what its doing now:

It wont idle. It just stalls within 2-3 seconds. If I feather the throttle, I can keep it running and get it driving. However, as I accelerate it spits, sputters, and backfires. It has less acceleration if I give it full throttle than it does if I give it half throttle. Lastly, once I shut it off for the first time after running it, I can not get it started again for at least 2 hours even if i try to feather the throttle. Last year my sled ran awesome! This year it barely runs at all, and nothing was changed. (except the fuel, oil, and plugs)

After reading through the forums a bit, I came to the conclusion that it may be running a little rich? When I pulled my old plugs out and they were dry and covered in a black oily film. I put brand new plugs in the sled, and now it runs worse than it did before i changed them. It also backfires more and has less power. Are the spark plugs gapped wrong? Even though it ran like crap before I changed the plugs, why does it run worse now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
710 Posts
Could be bad gas, gunk in the carbs, plugs, stator, plug wires, something stuck in the carbs-air box-exhaust (1 of the 3), engine/piston damage, etc...

Just check all the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear a lot of talk about a Stator...what exactly is that?

Also, I wrecked my snowmobile 2 years ago and it damaged my wires. However I couldn't afford a new coil, so I just taped up the wires. They seemed to work fine last year, but one never knows for sure.

On top of that, the first night I got it out this year, I drove around for about 20 minutes then all of a sudden something siezed on it. Either the motor or the clutch, i'm not sure which. I could not get the motor to turn over at all. I sprayed some wd40 on the clutch, let it sit for a couple hours, then it started right back up and ran just fine. Think maybe it was the motor and after it cooled it would start back up and run fine? With possible minor piston damage?

I am not sure, but I will check the easy things you suggested first. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i would say you melted down a piston. that's why it's hard to start and won't run. do a compression test.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Take it to an engine shop. Definitly sounds like it has more problems than you are going to solve here.

If the engine locked up enough that you couldn't pull it over, you really need to get the engine apart and check it out. Running it further could cause even more hard earned $$$ to disappear from your wallet.

And don't put WD-40 on your clutches! Clutches work via friction. WD-40 = no friction. On top of that, the lubricant will enable belt dust to stick on your clutch, causing pre-mature wear and more $$$ down the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, this my first post... my ext600 was spittin and sputtering, went thru a check on the electrical system, the positive lead on the #3 cylinder coil had a broken wire connector... it turned out the positive was just grounding itself. put new connectors on and since i tried new plugs to solve the problem first it ran like new (even though its only got 1900miles anyways :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts