Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, kinda ran into some issues when I took apart my ZR this morning to get the stator out, I always remove the muffler and can for easy access. The right rear motor mount bracket was broke. That I can weld no problem. The big issue I found is that when I removed the flywheel, I see the key was deformed, then I looked at teh flywheel itself and seen that the key seat was wore out too. So I assume there is no way to fix that and I need to find a used one.

Now my second Q is that little wired box in by the stator, What does that do exactly? I looks wore like flat to the box with a small lip on the other. Wish I had my digital camera along since the sled is at my parents so I could have shown you the parts.

Also if anyone has a flywheel for sale let me know lol.

Thanks Guys!

Jess

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
If you have welding skills and a dremmel dril you can patch and repair the flywheel where the key way is; I have done this on a scooter before and it worked great. Its worth a shot, and if it dosnt work, you would have neede to get a new one anyways right? Well, the flat box next to the stator that I think you are referring to is the electrical pickup. You will notice that on the flywheel there is a raised rectangular spot. This spot is where the electromagnetic energy is passed to the flat box which sends the power to the ignition coils to fire. Hope this helps.

If the box is worn Id replace it too because its not going to pick up the signal from the flywheel in the current condition.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that pick up is suppose to have a raised rectangular piece on it, I think mine is bad, cuz there is only about 3/16" left that is raised on one end. Rest is wore flat.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KC you are the man if you got the one I need!! And the price is right of course! lol. I looked at a picture of the elctrical pickup, and it does look liek the one that is there. I am not sure where this injector timing one is and what it looks like. Never had issues with this stuff b4..

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
The CDI trigger is the one you can see with the engine in the sled, the Injector trigger is 30* around the housing which puts it below the housing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up a used flywheel for $25 on ebay with $10 shipping. Guy had it label'd wrong so no one was bidding on it when they searched for it. New pickup coil is $45, and I gotta send my stator to Blaine yet. Oh and I had that bracket rewelded at work, looks like brand new.

So yea hope I get to ride it b4 the snow melts lol.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Check your tps wire by the steering stem to see if any are worn. Common problem when that motor mount breaks. Believe me I know. I had my stator in and out so many times before I saw the crack in my mount. Glad you found it right away. I know some frown at the 98-99 zr's, but the 98 is still my favorite :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts