Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing i did was clean the carburators and install a new main fuel shutoff as there was none, I pulled it and watched the fuel get sucked through the valve, into the fuel pump, and to the carbs, I noticed a small air bubble in the fuel line on the top where it enters the carb, both lines. wont start

confirmed spark

After many pulls I drained the fuel lines, and primed the fuel pump, same with the oil pump and lines, checked the filter inside the bottom of the gas tank, confirmed pressure coming from impulse line, wont start

spray some starting fluid and it starts to purr then dies

I have a new fuel pump coming in now too

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Don't use starting fluid as that is meant for diesel engines, if you do at least get the stuff with lubricating oil in it. Use gas/oil mixture from a chainsaw gas can or weedeater down the cylinders all it takes is a few drops.

It should also have a fuel filter behind or close to the airbox and before the shut off valve.

Sometimes it takes a couple cleanings of the carbs to get them right we've all been there. All of us have had a set of carbs where it took 3-4 cleanings to really get them right and clean. Take a small piece of wire down each passage and through each jet while spraying with good carb cleaner not walmart style garbage.

Good on replacing the pump as well as those can go bad. Clean the carbs again while you wait for the fuel pump, order a fuel filter typical is 1/4" I use the old style arctic cat ones from the early '80s as they are see through and 1/4" can get them at most powersports dealers for 3-5 bucks or on amazon. Also if you change the fuel lines change them to Tygon so they last a lot longer and won't go brittle for many seasons.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Yeah I am thinking something got in there when he tried to run it usually it hits the jets or needle/seat. Gotta drain that old gas all the way at the end of the season if not get it down so there is very little in there add stabil then let it run so some stabil gets through the lines/carbs then hit the shut off valve so there is no leftover gas in said carbs. Been doing it that way for a long time and it works very rarely now to I get gunk forming over the summer and either way I am cleaning them anyways just to make sure before the season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got the fuel pump going and pumping fine, got it to start, tuned the idle nice and low, had it running a while, took it out of the shop for a test ride, it got about a half mile and died, right back to where I was, will start with fuel in the plug holes, idle fine for a bit, then die, this is killing me thanks

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Half mile sounds like the fuel tank isn't venting. Try loosening the gas cap and see if it runs longer.

I'm finding that the Cats from around 94 through 2015 put a valve in the vent line and it would ice up or go bad.

Reactions: polaris754

·
Registered
26,667 Posts
Replace all the fuel lines including pick up in tank
rebuild fuel pump
Remove carbs and all jets
Clean all passages and floss jets
reassemble and fine tank over flow hose (by clutch)
Blow in overflow with fuel line off carb til flowing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts