Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 srx 700 and the headlight and gauge lights went out the other day. I hit a few bumps and they would flicker. I made sure there were no loose connectors. Any ideas what I could check next.? Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is just a stab but a buddy of mine had that happen a couple years ago on his XLT. He had the CDI I believe replaced and it fixed his issue. Do not take that as gospel and run out and buy one though. I am sure there is a way to test it first.

I can look in my manual when I get home for the procedure if it does not get answered first

·
Registered
794 Posts
I would check your wiring especially down where it runs near the exhaust it may have rubbed through or sometimes the holder breaks and lets it rub on the pipe. It may just be a broken wire in that harness also they bend the wires and hang them up near the front of the hood and sometimes the vibration will do them in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would check your wiring especially down where it runs near the exhaust it may have rubbed through or sometimes the holder breaks and lets it rub on the pipe. It may just be a broken wire in that harness also they bend the wires and hang them up near the front of the hood and sometimes the vibration will do them in.
Agreed. This is common on SRX's. Chances are the wiring harness rubbed through under the motor.

Tyrel

·
Registered
20 Posts
I beleive you can unplug the harness from the front and pull it back toward the back to see if it has rubbed through. If you go onto the totally yamaha forum they have a rediculous amount of info on SRX's.

Hope this helps,

Tyrel

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the harness under the motor is hard to get to. personally i pull the motor, its alot quicker. the helpful hints you may run across about tieing a string or wire to the harness has never worked for me. perhaps if you have tiny hands it might. there are 4 or 5 wire tabs that secure the harness under the motor and its virtually impossible to loosen the tabs and re feed the harness.

with the connectors from the stator unplugged you can get about 3" of slack on the harness. with a flashlight you should be able to visually inspect for any chaffing of the wrapping on the harness.

other areas to check are the harness connection left side front from the hood back to the stator plug and under the bar pad toward the dimmer switch, as well as by the steering hoop near the cdi.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts