Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this sled for about a year now. I took it to a great mechanic. He's worked on thousands of sleds and has been fixing them up for 20+ years. He looked it over and says its a great sled in great shape.

However on numerous rides I've had the sled kill on me for no apparent reason. At first I thought it seemed to kill when there was lots of powder, but looking back it has killed on me before when there was little to no powder.

I thought it was a faulty ignition switch - but troubleshooted that and had the same results. I've had the CDI box replaced (but that still may be the cause?). I've had the carbs cleaned. New plugs, cleaned the airbox & filter. I don't think its over heating because it happens both early and late on a ride. My mechanic has tried everything. He can't seem to reproduce it in his shop. When it runs it runs like a champ!

Usually when it dies on me I let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes and then after several pulls it seems to fire then die, (it will yank the cord back sometimes and seems there's enough compression to start) gives off a couple back fires and eventually it'll start up. I can smell oil and once it starts, it smokes more than usual.

Yesterday when I took it out, it was about to die so I gave it full throttle and it back fired really bad and kept running for a little bit, then back fired again and died. We let it sit for 30 min. and tried starting it over and over again with no luck. Spent about an hour trying to get it to run until eventually we had to tow it back to the truck. I went out this morning gave it one pull and it started right up!?

Any ideas??

Thanks
-
Joe

·
Registered
570 Posts
burr said:
I've had this sled for about a year now. I took it to a great mechanic. He's worked on thousands of sleds and has been fixing them up for 20+ years. He looked it over and says its a great sled in great shape.

A great mechanic????

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Sounds ignition related. The backfiring is the cylinder spark coming in and out. What do the plugs look like? If either one is black and oily as opposed to tan and dry, that's the problem cylinder. Has he done the coil yet? I've read a few posts on here where Arctic Cat sleds were dying or misfiring. Turned out to be the stator under the flywheel.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds like a broken wire making intermittent contact. This happened to me before. Main electrical wiring to coil/coils had a internal wire breakage from years of vibration. Outside of wire looked great, difficult to fault find.
My2cents

Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
have you fixed it yet cause if not i have something to add, now this could be completely irrelevant but my uncle has a 1985 yamaha vmax that when we first start it will run like a champ however once we get a little way down the trails it acts up. it would stop running and as it dies it would backfire once or twice, we then couldnt start it for about 15 min least and if it did start it would die soon again. if we stop for about an hour and then go to ride it will act perfect again. my father being mechanically inclined and what not narrowed it down to the stator or cdi so he replaced both this weekend and it started rite up and we let it sit for about 30 min and it ran like new now we still cant be certain that it is fixed but it sounded good and i hope this helps ill try to let you know if it truly works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 95 XLT that would run awful after a short ride, but only sometimes...... finally figured out that with the flared windshield I was running was causing snow to swirl around and block the air filter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check that stupid saftey switch in the throttle lever assembly. It is designed to cut the spark if the throttle is released but the slides don't pull the lever back. It's sort of a saftey precaution switch in case the carbs ice up under throttle and stay open. Those switches go bad and give you goofy intermittent misses and get worse when wet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts