Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain POW!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the orings in the top of the cylinder head and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I believe it's pretty easy and you just unbolt the cylinder cover and replace the orings and coolant. Is it a good idea to flush the whole cooling system now as well? should I run a cleaner through it like you would in a car? Any other things to do while I have it drained of coolant?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
Flushing isn't a bad idea, but cleaner is not usually necessary. Remove the coolant before you remove the head, if you take the head off first, there's a good chance coolant will flow down into the crankcase. Bearings don't like antifreeze.

I like to put a film of grease on the O rings, it helps keep them in place when you install the head.

·
Rocky Mountain POW!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up on draining the coolant. What type of grease do you use on the orings? kinda a newbie questions but do the orings sit on the the cylinder side or do they go into the top of the cylinder head? Also should I use regular antifreeze that I would use in my car like prestone or something special for sleds? One more question, I want to flush my chaincase and was wondering what the best way to do it is. Should I drain, refill and drive it around a little and drain refill again? will that get all the gunk out of it?

·
Rocky Mountain POW!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i'm about to start working on my sled and realized that I don't know where the coolant drains from. In the manual it only says you should periodically drain and refill but it doesn't say how. Any Tips?

·
Rocky Mountain POW!
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing, is there any certain way to refill with coolant? I was reading you should purge the air out if air becomes trapped but im not sure if i need to do this when i refill with coolant.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So i'm about to start working on my sled and realized that I don't know where the coolant drains from. In the manual it only says you should periodically drain and refill but it doesn't say how. Any Tips?
do you have a hard copy of the manual, or do you have it on your pc/online? if you have an electronic version, care to share it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.