Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Was recently just given a older panther 440 for free from my uncle! :thumbsup: It run's alright but of course why not make it run better? Here's some of the questions and things i would like to do to it.

It idles but not the greatest, im gonna finish running this gas out of it (who knows how old it is) and clean the carbs. I've never cleaned the carbs but i'm pretty mechanically inclined and can learn how to do this. Does anyone have any good tutorials or links out there to doing this? Should i also need to rebuild my carbs? I know on my old goped gas scooters we had to rebuild the carbs every so often.

I think i also need to tune my carbs. You can get on the gas and it goes but then like mid rpm it's like it actually kicks in then. Could either not be getting enough fuel till that point where it kicks in or could be getting too much and not burning it till that point. Im thinking it's not getting enough fuel though because the carb's have got to be filthy and it's some terrible old gas and doesn't idle good. Is their a good tutorial or does anyone have any suggestions on how to tune my carbs?

I think the track needs tightening also. When turning the sled while driving slow it's got a pretty bad chatter like it's almost jerking and sounds like it's clicking or something. Im thinking the track is real loose or i read that theirs a chain that could have stretched? I've never tightend a track before as this is my first sled but i wan't it to run for a while :D

Is their a way i can stiffen up the rear suspension also? The front seems fine but i managed to find a cool snow drift that drifted around some haybails and it's probably a 15 foot gap that we were doubling, it was pretty fun! But the rear seem's real soft and mushy and it bottoms out sometimes coming down off ditch approaches hard. I don't know if the rear shock can be stiffened or what and i don't want to mess with the pre load or something and have it buck and endo me.

Seat, also the seat isn't in the best condition on this thing and im not a fan of the passenger seat on the back. Im really the only one that drive's this thing and theirs hardly any passengers. Could i replace the seat on this with one from a ZR or something?

Handle bars, i know these handlebars have hand warmers and all that fancy stuff but their way too low while standing. I mostly stand the hole time im riding the thing and these bars are very uncomfortable. Is their any bars that will work on this thing that are taller?

Pipe, I was reading some reviews on this thing last night and it said that the panther 440's only put out like 50 horse. Now i was wondering if their is any aftermaket pipes for these or any that would work on these from different models. I mainly like the sound of them over the stock but more power would be greatly appreciated :p

Here's a video of the little jump we were hitting. It's dark out so it's hard to see anything. But we come down that hump and pin it to make the jump. You can kinda hear it it's not revving all that high after we pin it. It's got some lag in it and then gets on it good usually from a dead stop.

I checked some of the links here and it seems that the clutch is the best way to change performance and what not. I don't think anything is done to this clutch. Should i dissassemble and clean it?

This is basically my first sled and i don't think very much maintenance has ever been done on it. Id like to get it running and in best mechanical state as possible for best performance! So sorry for all the questions, new sled owner here!

Ill try taking a better vid during the day the jump's still there :D
Here is a link to the vid

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
Drain all the old gas out of the tank.
Clean the carb.
At the rear of the suspension is a triangle shaped block that you use to pre-load the springs with.
Cleaning the clutches will help a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drain all the old gas out of the tank.
Clean the carb.
At the rear of the suspension is a triangle shaped block that you use to pre-load the springs with.
Cleaning the clutches will help a lot.
Okay cool, how much should i preload the spring? And will preloading the spring more make the rear want to kick up more?

Also about the clutch, what should i look for cleaning it?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
The block has three different thicknesses. The thinnest is the softest setting (up to 160#)
If you can find a rebuildable shock from a ZR to put in there too, that would help.
Look in the Tech section and look at the "how to" thread, there are links there that will instruct you on what needs to be done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just cleaned the clutches according to your guide. I have the sled in the garage right now getting it ready to rip! Clutches are cleaned, how tough of a task is it to clean the carbs? Something a 16 year old could easily do?

Is this the the three things your talking about with the shock? So i need to move that bolt in one or two notches?

Also do you have a good tutorial on tightening the track?

Thanks for the help man!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just cleaned the carbs and clutch and got back from a ride. Definitely much better but seems like it has a flat spot in it at lower rpms. Once it gets up there though it rips! Ill be goin and let off for a bit then get on it and it bogs. Do I need to tune my carbs now?

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
The Panther is more of a trail cruser. For the type of riding you are talking about you would be WAY better off finding a 98 ZR600!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm how much does one of those run? Im definitely not a trail cruser :) Racin dirt bikes definitely gets to ya ridin a sled!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, would a efi sled be a bad choice? I see so many more carb models but EFI is less maintenance and stuff that wouldn't be as bad as cleaning the carbs and tuning them all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think ill just keep this sled for this winter but just get it runny good mechanically. I don't need any of the other stuff done. I pulled the spark plugs and holy crap these things are BLACK and theirs oil all over them. Im definitely running too rich and then that explains my problem at low rpm.

Now i don't know how to tune these carbs. I think ill get new plugs, already cleaned the carbs, fresh fuel, belt is good, and cleaned the clutch out tonight.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Do an oil consumption test, fill oil and fuel , run it then mesure your use. You want to use 1 qt of oil to 12.5 gal of gas!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil consumption test? Also how do i mix the fuel like that? It's oil injected and i don't mix the fuel or can i change the amount of oil that it mixes?

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
He's saying fill the oil tank and gas tank full.
Compare the amount of gas used to the amount of oil used. You should be using approximately 1 qt of oil to 12 gal of gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts