Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last time i had the mxz out, every t ime i take off from a dead stop, you hear this "crunch" coming from either the secondary or somewhere in the jackshaft. I took the belt off and with the track not moving, you can turn the secondary and the jackshaft about 3 inches. Is there supposed to be this much play? what should i look at first?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Sounds like a VERY loose chain in the chaincase. Start there. There is an adjustment bolt on the case to adjust tension. Turn it clockwise until it stops, then back it off a little.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tightened it hand tight and backed off a bit to get then pin in, and it did nothing. i then tightened it as tight as it could go and its still the same.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You need to take the cover off the chaincase and check the two sprockets for broken teeth. If they are indeed broken, they are pretty easy to replace. You will have to replace BOTH sprockets and the chain. Don't do just 1 thing, as the other things are probably worn to the point where they'll mess up your new parts. Then refill the chaincase with the correct lube. Let me know if that was the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright its fixed! i started to second guess my idea of it being the chain, because everything turned in sequence including the drive sproket, so i went to the clutches. first of all the primary was covered with rubber, the belt had more wear on the inside than the outside, and the secondary didnt look anywhere close to being lined up with the primary. I took the clutches off, cleaned them all up, lined them back up and got a new belt. While i was at it, i cleaned my carbs and replaced the chain case lube just for the helluvit. it now works better than ever. throttle response is unreal, it just about threw me off the back of the sled the first time i took it out. i guess she just needed a little bit of love

·
Registered
52 Posts
u can tell if it is the jackshaft if u can feel a thumping down by your right foot, its easy to fix and not to expensive, it happens to all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts