Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Mach 1 starts to bog badly after getting warmed up, I am thinking the CDI is on it's way out. Are there are other years/models that use the same CDI box?

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
I'm thinking it's a one year only due to DESS and 99 being internally timed w/CDI. Here's where I picked up a used one. I see he's got a 98 700 touring CDI which should be the same. You might contact him and ask what will fit. Just remember you need the matching tether or will have to take yours to dealer to get it reprogramed. ski-doo triple parts and more - DOOTalk Forums

·
Mountain Man
423 Posts
Also remember that the 98 was a change over year from the F chassis to the CK3. The wiring harness has been know to rub bare under the motor shorting out CDI and stator. It needs to be wrapped with a protective covering to fix. That is the first place I would look and then clean the connectors on CDI and stator. I think there was a service bulletin about this problem. Also from what I've read a person should move CDI from under the motor to the air box. Under the motor it is subject to oil, gas and anti freeze. It has been much discussed over in the Mach triple section on dootalk. You might also heat up the coils with a heat gun while motor is cold to see if you have one going bad. I have seen a coil go down when hot many times. Just my thoughts. Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts