Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 grand touring 700 triple with RAVE. when i went to start it this winter it was completely dead. i replaced the battery and it turned over but had no spark. i took it to my dealer and it would sometimes start for them and other times it would have no spark. its been there 4 weeks and i could use some advice on what might be wrong and if anyone has had this problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What Dealer has had your sled for 4 weeks and can't get it running?!?!?! What have they done to it? It's obviously electrical, look at chassis ground, all elec connectors, coils can be tested, CDI's can be tested, unplug kill switch and ignition and try it, stator problems could be it ect..... shane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer claims that they have checked electrical connections and stator etc.. everything they say checks out ok. Now they tell me that they are pulling the motor to check wiring harness and to see if wires might of rubbed through. I think they have no idea of what they are doing. This is a ski doo dealer they should have encountered this before. Im missing out on riding because they have no clue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same sled and the same problem

That is funny that I am having the exact same thing happen to the exact same sled. I wish there was more info on if anyone else has this issue. Really frustrating as it just started happening this week. :mad:

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
98 sleds had an issue with the wiring harness chafing under the engine. The dealer is heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
try pull starting it.i had one that the solenoid on the starter was grounding out and would not fire when the starter was enguaged.but started fine with the pullcord.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where is this harness located? I do not even have a battery installed in this sled because when connected all lights come on and never go off draining the battery to nothing. I pulled the plugs but kept the wires connected and laid them on the plug holes to see if there is a spark when I pull start it but there is nothing. If the harness is easy to access maybe I can change it somehow? Or else it is time to bring it in to the dealer I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well today I found the problem. As I didnt have the battery connected in my machine because it kept drawing power when it wasnt running, I removed the airbox and noticed the machine got its spark back. The airbox was pressing the positive cable against the frame causing the machine to die and create no spark.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1999 Grand tourer 800 triple

Hi guys, just purchased this machine, it was going great but now I will ride it a while then it will just cut out, leave it for a while then it will start again then cut out after about a km, it was going fine then I went through some really deep snow on my place and a while later in started cutting out. the only other thing i have done is that i went over a bank of snow the otherweek before and had a bit of a hard landing, but it seemed to be alright after that. I checked the fuse's and one of the yellow 20amp was melted, I changed that but the issue still continues, the machine has only done 2000km and is great shape, any ideas guys, i'm not very savvy with machine, I will change plugs tomorrow and I was trying to find the fuel filter, any ideas also how to find that. any advise would be greatly appreciated. thanks Danny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts