Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help.

Like an idiot, I never preped my sled for the summer and left old gas in it. I started it up and it ran like a dog. I cleaned my carbs that were full of green goo and thought I was all set. It was bogging at about 65mph and felt like it was starving for fuel. Tried new plugs first. No help. Pulled the carbs again and double checked my needle seats. They seemed fine. Pulled my fuel filter and it was fine. Pulled my fuel pump and it seemed fine.

I took my sled across the lake between each of the above steps and got the same result (Although idle and starting were improved after the initial carb clean) Each time was the same result BUT after the ride following the fuel pump I parked it with no issues and left it for a day or too BUT I left the airbox off and didn't cover my carbs. When I came back and tried to start the sled it the pull start stopped suddenly (as my heart rate rose...LOL) I pulled the pull start off and checked it and it was fine. I can turn the clutch (Crankshaft) and it seems to hit something solid. You turn it the other way 97% and you hit it again. I pulled the plugs and verified my pistons were free and they were. It has been in the single digits during the day and -10-15 at night all week durning this. My question is could I have ice in the lower end that is causing this? The only other thing I can think of is a connector rod bolt vibrated loose and that is what is catching. It was running OK other thatn the 65mph bog right up until I hit the kill switch. I didn't hear and clunking or feel any vibrations. I have a salamander heater trying to warm it up as we speak.

Any suggestions ????

Thanks,
Bill

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
I'd vote for the ice. 2 strokes don't have rod bolts, the cranks are pressed together with the one piece rod on them. Let us know what you find. If it is water, you're going to have to get it out somehow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the quick response!

I can't find any cylinder drains (like on Polaris XC) to drain the fuel.
Any suggestions on how to get whatever is in there out?

Assuming it is ice and I free it up, any ideas on the bog?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you get the previous post ?

I can't find any cylinder drains (like on Polaris XC) to drain the fuel.
Any suggestions on how to get whatever is in there out?

Assuming it is ice and I free it up, any ideas on the bog?

Thanks,
Bill

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The last time I sank a sled underwater (don't ask) I pulled the plugs, taped the throttle wide open and pulled it until the water stopped gysering out of it. Was able to fire it up after that. I think it's bogging because you're trying to burn water with the fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It a bend connecting rod. Center cylinder. Must have bend from some ice. I had alot of water in the tank. Doesn't look like I have any damage other than the rod. It there a way to change the rod without tearing out the crank? Also, is there anything else I should do seeing I have the engine this torn down? I was thinking I should replace all three rods.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
The crank is pressed together and they put the rods on at the same time. You'll have to pull the crank out. Whoever rebuilds the crank will recommend if you need the others replaced or not. Replace all crank seals while it's apart, though. How did you bend a rod???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I can think is that with the water in the fuel and the extreme cold we had last week that I had ice in there. I talked to the local Ski-Doo dealer and the tech said you can bend a rod by having the sylinder loaded up and pulling it over...I thought that sounded strange though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts