Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some serious HELP!
Picked up a 1998 Cougar 550 liquid, 500 miles on it and been sitting a long time.
I will get right to the point for sake of making this a novel and tell you what is happening after cleaning carbs and getting the machine running. BTW, this is kind of hard for me to explain.

Pull rope and start sled; now just Barely touch the throttle and you get almost 50% power in the first mm of throttle depression. Go just a little past that, and now your back to kind of normal operation. Basically just wiggle the throttle and it will rev up quite a bit, as if you gave it HALF throttle or something. Also, plugging a test light into the spark plug circuit shows that while you are just barely touching the throttle you are losing spark too. ( with the motor kind of idling the spark is not consistent). So maybe we have an electrical issue, far enough. Except for the strange part now!

Unplug the TSS, or TPS either at the handlebars or right at the carbs and now when you start it up the thing takes off to WOT until you hit the kill or the key (depending what you unplugged)

Very strange to me, and hope someone might have some sort of an answer.

I know I have throttle problems, the white washers are cracked etc..

There is about 1/4" free play on the throttle, except its not really free play as its just the throttle itself moving a ways and not the cable.

Carbs completely cleaned, everything slides nice, jets cleaned out etc...

Sled was apparently running well before sitting so long (3-4yrs)
I actually bought two of these from the original owner, 500 miles on them.
The other one has none of these problems.

Tank is off, gas is being picked up in a 1 litre bottle, cracked fuel lines all repaired.

I can try and explain any questions you guys have, Im not a mechanic but my friend who is helping me is and he is quite perplexed!

Thanks Everyone.
Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will replace those washers, but that wouldn't cause WOT with TPS unplugged right?
I just wanted to add to my first post, that with the spark tester tool connected to the plug, there is no spark until you actually touch the throttle. So when you have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running (with TPS's plugged in) and when you let off the throttle the test light goes out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sure the throttle cable isn't sticking in its sheath?

It only revs wide open with the TPS's unplugged. It would idle with them plugged in, except you need to give the throttle a little touch to maintain spark/power.

·
Registered
66 Posts
id maybe get new cable/ replace washers and maybe get TPS looked at, somethings not set/working and from the sounds of things to me the tps is causing the problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts