Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 1997 zr580efi, and I put in a new throttle cable, and adjusted it per the manual. It now takes 5 or 6 pulls to start, and when it does, it won't idle, and can't control the RPM's. It either bogs or screams, with an occational backfire. I have around 39psi fuel pressure constant. No error codes given from ecm. During installation of throtle cable, 1 spark plug boot came apart. Repaired, and cleaned and screwed ends back on. If the fuel line was pinched, would the fuel pressure still maintain? Also may have old gas....ran for about 1 mile a week ago with a couple of gallons of new gas on old gas from spring... ran great!!!. Got a big storm heading in....need some help!!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the cables are not adjusted properly, ie 1/8 inch play, the sled will not run or if it does, it will run poorly. If you pinched a fuel line, yes the pressure will maintain but the required fuel will not reach the injectors. I would suggest that check the cables again, then try and fire it up. If it fires, spray a little CRC or WD40 around the throttle bodies to see if you have a vacuum leak. Hope this helps. Dan

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
DITTO ON THE CARBS FENDRGUY IF YOU CAN'T FIDDLE IT AINT FUN, HOWEVER, I GOT TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO FIDDLE WITH DPM

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm with the crank seals mxz.. you should check them out. put the machine on a jack stand.. while idling spray some starter fluid near both sides of the engine. if she races over the seals are gone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 97EFI was a good unit. Seeing that you replaced your cable I would think your problem lies there. How did it run before you replaced your cable. If it ran good then you need to adjust your throttle valve angle (TPS). If this is off it can cause all sorts of running issues. You could even fry your engine. This would need to be done at a dealer as you would require the EFI analyzer or diagnostic harness. If it didn't run good then you could have a failed TPS. There again this is some thing that would require the EFI analyzer or diagnostic harness to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts