Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well well i have the infamous top end bog on my 580 efi. It will run great for about 40 miles then when u hit the gas it will go up to 7000 rpm and then just stay there. I go ahead and pull the plugs and they are BLACK.It runs so rich that the excess gas is spitting out of the exhaust and dripping down the cylinder. I change the plugs and it runs like a champ. Might light is bright and handwarmers work excellent so i dont think its the stator. What could it be ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well heres what im doing. I put injector cleaner in and im gonna run it through tomorrow. So if there is still a problem after the first cycle of gas i will check the sensors. Any idea of which sensor would cause this ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
What goes bad on the Stator is the high speed ignition coil. It has nothing to do with the alternator winding. If the ignition coil has a compremised winding it will act as you describe. You should check the resistance with a ohm meter cold and hot. If there is a differance in resistance the coil is shot. This is because as the coil heats up and expands it shorts itself out and causes the spark to brake up.
If it's a 1997 i'll bet its the stator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea when its cold it runs like a champ. when it warms up that is when it starts to go. so that would be the stator ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts