Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the scenario!!!! i own a 1995 polaris xcr600 with a fresh rebuilt motor, bored 1mm over, wiseco high compression pistons and rings,slp crank (welded),hotrods main bearings and connecting rods, clutched to engage at 5500rpm, new seat cover, new ski skins,new carbides,fresh rebuilt shocks and this thing runs tip top and goes like a bastard ........BUT as it happens to everyone , hunger for more power and have found someone who wants to downsize their sled. i offered my sled as a straight up trade and for his 97 yamaha vmax sx700 with a 800 psi motor in it. it looks like a pretty clean sled and nothing sounds funny with the motor or anything BUT i need an honest opinion on this sled. are these sleds any good ,in general? am i just asking for trouble being that it has had this psi big bore kit installed? what will the performance difference be, such as hp,and handling? i just dont want to get rid of a beyond perfect xcr for a sled that may not be as good. is the yamaha as indestructible as i have found xcr's to be?

honest educated opinions would be much appreciated
thank you for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the only issue i can foresee would be if you had any problems with the psi set up. that dude went through some rough times, all but killed the psi name, supposedly lost all his info on the accessories for the older sleds last time i talked to him, but he is trying to make a comeback. outside of that the sx is a solid platform with little to know issues in stock trim. you will hear negative about the rear suspension, but in my opinion, the nay-sayers never took the time or had the experience to set one up to suit their needs. i know nothing about your polaris. worst case, you could always locate stock parts for the sx and return to that. that sled wouldnt be lucky enough to have the factory installed ohlins shocks would it? big plus there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. i just emailed the guy and he is pretty quick to reply so ill post the shock info asap

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
figures, the guy has been emailing and texting me non stop today and the one time i actually want him to message me back he doesnt hahaha
im sure he will in the morning.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
i would say keep the xcr. you already know how good of a sled it is. now really how much more power is the yami going to have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh, it will take a lot to convince me to get rid of my xcr thats for sure.
myself and one of my buddies live by the wedge chassis xlt and xcr 600 triples.between the 2 of us i bet we have owned like 20 of them, and not one of them have we had a problem with. a lot of people have a crank issue, but we have found it only happens when you add triple pipes and then your just asking for trouble. either leave the stock exhaust on or at most put a can on it to make it sound better. hahaha the more i talk about my xcr, the more im talking myself out of a yamaha!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 97 VMax700SX is the best sled I've ever owned. It took me an entire riding season to get it all adjusted to suit the way I like to ride (which is pretty hard), but not that I have it's a blast. My friends loving getting a chance to ride my sled and most of them have newer sleds they ride.

Agree with a previous comment that the rear suspension is completely capable if you set it up right.

FWIW, in the past 3 years I've been on the trails with my buddies and I've seen each sled break down at least once for whatever reason...usually not catastrophic. Mine never has. This includes the sleds that are only a few years old.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
all sleds break down just like all cars and trucks do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts