Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new to this forum, and snowmobiling itself. Bought a Vmax last season and basically rebuilt the whole thing. Now that, that headache is over, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for upgrades- clutches, handlebars, pipes. I plan on getting a newer sled next season like a nitro, or mxz 800 and would like some input on these sleds if possible.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are lots of things you "could" do but how much do you want to throw at it if you are upgrading next year?

And congrats on a successful rebuild by the way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm not look to put a thousand dollar upgrade on It or anything, but a set of handle bars and a pipe is what I'm leaning towards. I plan on keeping this sled seeing all the money I've already put in it for the rebuild. So cple hundy here n there over this season is my budget for this sled. And thanks it was a frustrating one. Luckily I got out on it once and loved it so I wasn't going without a sled that was forsure!

·
Registered
142 Posts
i know aaen might have some pipes but i got to say pipes are expensive. if you do put pipes on it you will have to rejet it also

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
k I will take a look at them. I heard mbrp is a good pipe brand too. I was also wondering how big of a riser i can go with before i have to start changing all the lines. I find the vmax a lil uncomfortable when standing..

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
3" on the rise without extending cables. do not by extensions if you opt for the risers, especially not rsi. you will have the hardest time adjusting the oil pump and throttle cables using extensions. look for pipes thaqt make their power at or near your shiftout rpm now. pipes that make power spinning at higher rpms are harder on the motor and fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So are "risers" different then say a 2" raised handle bar that i just swap with the old ones. What i would like is the straight bar, about 2" raised. i saw some handle bars from royal distributing that may fit. Is this just a simple swap with the same result or are risers a totally different thing?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
you can go either way.

"risers" are an independant part that you would place between the bars and the steering post. several sizes, designs, styles available. rox, rsi, powermadd and several others available.

things to look for when riser shopping is the way they mount. you will see varying prices on risers and usually the cheaper ones require an additional part to fasten to the steering post. keep that in mind. i personally like the rox pivoting risers. affordable, require no additional hardware, and are infinately adjustable.

your sled now probably has about a 3-4" rise from the steering post to the top of the bars. a quick measure will confirm, just remove the bar cover and foam. factor that into the equation when looking at bars and risers.

by "straight" do you meen no rake back on the bars or an inline, no raise or drop on the bars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Straight across. no rake i guess is what im looking for. Now if I buy bars with 2" rise instead of risers. would i add the already 3-4" rise that is there, or will replacing the stock bars with 2" bars lower it to 2"?

You recommend the risers so i will look into them, do i need to buy bars or is it a universal fit for these risers. appreciate all the help and input.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
correct, i think. i will explain it this way. most the aftermarket bars that i have been associated with have either a 2" or 4" rise above the steering post. or, if the bars are placed on a flat surface, the distance from surface to bars would be the heigth.

now compare this to your bars. if i could remember which bars in the pile were the sx bars i could speak more intelligently but i willing to bet they are about 4". most the short track sleds had the 4" bars with different degrees of rake.

so, if you wanted to raise your bar heigth by 2" and you bought straight bars with a 2" bend, you would need a 3.5-4" riser to accomplish that. if you like the stock heigth of your bars now but just want a straighter bar, a 2" riser would put you close to where your bars are now.

you need risers or bars compatable with a 7/8" mount, thats your bar diameter now.

hope that answered your question. i think i confused myself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 98 and my bars had a four inch rise in them. I purchased the powermadd pivotal bar riser with the 2" bar riser block. The pivot is 1 1/4" tall and allows you to mount the 2 to 6" riser block onto it and adjust positioning forward and back. I wouldnt go more than the 2" if you go this route. Your bars being 4" + pivotal riser being 1 1/4" + 2" riser= 7 1/4. perfect for me at 6' 1". Every extended cable kit I bought came with an 8 or 10" extension over stock. The only problem was the amount of cable from the end of the housing to the barrel end was an 1 1/4" greater than stock. Even at max adjustment all it did was pick up the slack and not open the throttle. After 2 sets from powermadd returned, I bought a set of rsi from the local dealer that had the same problem and had them cut the cable to match stock. Works Great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts