Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference in a 97 600 head and a 96 600 head? My recent purchase 97 Vmax 600 has a piece missing out the side of the head because the head bolt was missing.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
although i think that head will bolt right on, the cylinders were changed in 97 vs the 94-96 models. one obstacle you would have to overcome is a location for the water temp sensor. the 97 had it in the head. the 96 head does not have a provision, although you may be able to drill and tap it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a necessity that i use the water temp censor on the 97, or will it throw a code and not run right?? Thanks for your help this is my first sled. 97 vmax 600 XTC for next to nothing

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
it may flash your self diagnosis feature but wont hurt anything. however, monitoring engine temps is an important component on your sled. i,for one, would not go without it.

you may have other options for the temp sensor like the bleed screw on the t-stat housing if you dont want to drill the other head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the torque specs for the head bolts/nuts? Don't have a manual yet. Thanks for all you help..

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i have those somewhere, i will dig them up. its a rotating pattern working from center out as well as the specific torque.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts