Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 skidoo 440f, new pistons, all new seals, pto 126 psi, mag 125 psi. Have good spark, carburetors have had a pre season. When the new pistons were replaced, ran through its heat cycles , the sled started and ran fine, rode around yard a few times. The sled then sat in my garage for about month. Went to start it up at a friends house, and one side fouled out. Put it back in the shop, replaced plug, and fouled out again. Replaced plug, started it ran for about 20 seconds and died. Went through this two more times. There is spark, fuel going to carbs, just cant keep it running, a person who specifically works on skidoos, said there isnt a way to adjust timing on this model as it only goes on one way, I have a ducati stator and fly wheel. The people working on my sled are at whits end, and I not knowing anything is there with them, LOL.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

The guy working on my sled thought he had put fresh gas in the the tank, well he didn't. I had already put a hotter plug in, and exchanged the gas. She runs great now, except I believe my stator is bad. Light is very dim, barely even lights to be honest, tach works when you rev at high rpms. I see all the places to get them tested and rewound, I kinda want to learn how to do the rewinding myself. I currently work for a motor shop in Minneapolis, but don't work in the armature dept. So was looking for some self help instructions or videos, I see alot on Arctic Cat, little to no info on Skidoo, I have a ducati stator and fly wheel, can I change them with another brand as long as they are a paired match, or am I destined to stay ducati. I was told I had to put a ducati stator back in if I replace it, and that to me doesn't make since, but I don't know anything about snowmobiles.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stator Testing

Thanks, I did look through that previously. As I stated before I'm uneducated when it comes to snowmobiles, first year to even own. I'm trying to find one more specific to Skidoo, the videos where for Arctic Cat, and none of the wire colors, or even the stator looks the same, so I'm having troubles trying to figure mine out. I was told by a couple that looked at my sled that it was in fact a bad lighting coil, so I'm kinda beyond trying to test it now. I want to to see if I can get into the rewind part of it. Also, what is the best adhesive product to mend a 4" inch crack that runs up from the part of the hood that meets the chassis? I was told some plastic bonding stuff from any auto-parts store. And sorry if I overlook stuff first time dealing with forums this complex.

Thanks

Jason

1 - 5 of 5 Posts