Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I am very new to snowmobiling this is my first sled and it was my second time riding it started first pull I rode about 10 min and then it started bogging down and then completly just died down and stoped, now when I pull it just sputters and pops and backfires then stops, fuel is on, carbs are clean, plugs are new, does anybody have anideas of were to start looking? Any help would be great

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Compression check is in order. Did you let the sled warm up plenty good before you started riding? Always feel your heat exchangers (best way I've found to check if the sled's warm) before you get going. They should be plenty warm to the touch. Once they are, you can start riding but take it easy for a little while. Stop and check em again...they should get pretty hot to the touch. Once they are, take it easy a little bit more and then you can open her up. When I say take it easy I don't mean just putt around at 5 mph, just don't bring it much above half throttle. And once you start riding when the exchangers are warm, the motor warms up plenty fast. You should be able to give her WOT after you go about 2 city blocks or equivalent as long as the exchangers are warm to the touch when you start. Very important on sleds to let them warm up good before you ride.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
x2 on compression. Did you replace the gas before the beginning of the season? Could be moisture in your fuel.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Compression check is in order. Did you let the sled warm up plenty good before you started riding? Always feel your heat exchangers (best way I've found to check if the sled's warm) before you get going. They should be plenty warm to the touch. Once they are, you can start riding but take it easy for a little while. Stop and check em again...they should get pretty hot to the touch. Once they are, take it easy a little bit more and then you can open her up. When I say take it easy I don't mean just putt around at 5 mph, just don't bring it much above half throttle. And once you start riding when the exchangers are warm, the motor warms up plenty fast. You should be able to give her WOT after you go about 2 city blocks or equivalent as long as the exchangers are warm to the touch when you start. Very important on sleds to let them warm up good before you ride.
Heat exchangers should never be hot unless you aren't riding in enough snow. That's an indication of a coolant problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not gonna lie , probley blew up , the 650s and 600 tripels were no good .

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
This is a 680 here bud. And you must not know much...the 650's were actually really good motors. The 600's only had trouble in 95 and 96 when the oil system didn't provide enough lubrication to the PTO side crank bearing. After that they pretty well resolved the problem. Do some more research next time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK well I got my sled running like a top again, I took your advice and went out and bought a compression tester and they were all a little over 100, so im thinking shes about half way to a rebuild, however that tells me the motor isn't shot, my polaris buddy told me to go through the carbs so off with the air box pulled the carbs(which I was told were cleaned right before I bought it) and that might of been the truth because they were pretty clean, I managed to get a little crap out of the middle carb the others appeared to be clean, put them back on and three pulls later she was puring like a kitten, thank you guys for the help I had no idea these things were so finiky, now when it happed I opened up the hood and there was snow that had formed over the air filter, could it have melted a little and moisture got in the carbs?

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Definitely... airboxes pretty much vary by model with their effectiveness. Mine SUCKS big time... the vent is just above the running board so it sucks in snow like no tomorrow.

Btw I'd get that top end rebuilt by next season at the latest... 100 is getting pretty damn low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts