Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 mxz 583 rode it to test drive it, brought it home now it wont start, never had a sled with a primer always a choke, i am assuming its flooded. I did the standard taking brand new plugs out and pulled over 30 times, cleaned gas off plugs and tried starting again, nothing. I have a blister on my hand from pulling, any help

·
Super Moderator
92 Posts
I had a 97 Mxz670 and know exactly what you mean. I'm sure you've flooded it. I would just let it sit for a day or two and then put new plugs in it. Then I would first try to start it without any primer action. And holding the throttle full open. If nothing happens after a couple of pulls then I'd hit the primer while holding the hood open and watching the gas lines that go up and over the carbs. Pump the primer so you can see the gas going up and over the top. Once it gets solid fuel up there pump only two more times. Not even full pumps on the primer. Maybe like 3/4 ones. Once you do that pull it and I'll bet it starts. Any more than 2 1/2 squirts I found it would be flooded and require some full throttle action and a lot of pulls on the cord.

Welcome to primers on Skidoos ! Caution is the name of the game when using a primer.

Steve

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
There is a trick to the 583.

When cold: 3 squishy primes. Pull the primer back out, but don't push in. Pull on the cord until it fires. Usually 3-4 pulls. If it does not fire, then hold the throttle open 1/3 and pull 3-4 more times. When it fires, be quick to the throttle and the primer to keep it running. If you don't catch it, ONE prime, throttle at 1/3, pull.

If it still doesn't fire, pull the plugs and see if they are wet. If they are, with them out, pull on the cord about 5-6 times. If you see a lot of mist coming from the spark plug holes, keep pulling until you don't (no spark plugs, it is a lot easier to pull). I've even use a propane torch to hold over the spark plug holes while pulling just to see the excitement of fire blowing out. :D

Alternately, if you think it is flooded, hold throttle wide open and pull until it fires. Hope you have a friend with you.

Once you learn the process to start, it becomes easier only because you get it right the first time. If it is really warm, less priming.

Never prime once the motor is hot. Always let the motor come back to idle before turning it off. Try to park it either level or slightly nose up hill, nose downhill with most likely flood it. If you do park it nose down hill, wide open on the throttle and pull until it fires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 97 Mxz670 and know exactly what you mean. I'm sure you've flooded it. I would just let it sit for a day or two and then put new plugs in it. Then I would first try to start it without any primer action. And holding the throttle full open. If nothing happens after a couple of pulls then I'd hit the primer while holding the hood open and watching the gas lines that go up and over the carbs. Pump the primer so you can see the gas going up and over the top. Once it gets solid fuel up there pump only two more times. Not even full pumps on the primer. Maybe like 3/4 ones. Once you do that pull it and I'll bet it starts. Any more than 2 1/2 squirts I found it would be flooded and require some full throttle action and a lot of pulls on the cord.

Welcome to primers on Skidoos ! Caution is the name of the game when using a primer.

Steve
I've done this, I've tried everything I've read and i even googled videos. I still can't get it, I'm going to get with the old owner and have him come show me how he started it since he only lives 10 miles away

1 - 5 of 5 Posts