Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've found a really good deal on a 97 MXZ 440 fan.

Anyone ride these things???

Do they actually make any power?

I had hoped on getting something in the 500-700 cc range, but this little sled is in real good shape!!
mint in fact.

What are these things like? reliability, econmony; power speed?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2 Posts

I owned a Skidoo MXZ440 (now have a 600) and it ran great, great fuel economy. Won't keep anywhere near a 600 or 700 though if you are riding with the big boys but when you catch up at the gas pumps, your bill will be substantially less !!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
fans seem to be relyable, but yeah, when the big boys are just cruising you'll have it to the handle bars to keep up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
my friend used to have a '99 mxz 440 fan. he liked it and could keep up with everyone, but then again he really knew how to ride. i dont know about the kind of "highways" that most of you ride on, but around here it's all moguls, small trails, and lots of twists, so to keep up all you have to do is be a good rider, but again, i dont know how well they would keep up with the big boys on the smooth trails.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I owned one up until last year. As a female I found it to be a great sled for learning to ride but like the other folks said...if you're going to be on some good smooth trails and riding with bigger sleds you may end up feeling frustrated with not being able to keep up. That's what happened to me...luckily hubby bought a new one and I got his old one. We passed the 440 on to my daughter. It's been a very reliable sled...light and easy to handle...just not fast enough. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
around here to we had a kid wit a 440 and also a 440 snowpro. believe it or not they were actually faster than us on the trails. we are all about in equal talent so thats not the factor either. but all it is is trees and curves and stuff so no open straghts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i just got my mxz 500 fan for christmas, and it is powerful enough for me and i am a big kid, i topped out on rainbow valley road going between 130-140 km. but DANER is right u will never keep up with the big boys.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
MSSpartin7616 said:
around here to we had a kid wit a 440 and also a 440 snowpro. believe it or not they were actually faster than us on the trails. we are all about in equal talent so thats not the factor either. but all it is is trees and curves and stuff so no open straghts.

A 440 sno pro is racing so its obviously going to be fast lol those things rip!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all,

I've found a really good deal on a 97 MXZ 440 fan.

Anyone ride these things???

Do they actually make any power?

I had hoped on getting something in the 500-700 cc range, but this little sled is in real good shape!!
mint in fact.

What are these things like? reliability, econmony; power speed?

Thanks for the input
ya they make preaty disent power i have a 1999 mxa 440 fan and its preaty kwik sled but compared to a 600 liqued its slow

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 440fan will let you keep up on the curvy trails, but you will get left behind on the straight-aways. There isn't much difference on the bottom end, it is top speed where there is a big difference. I have had my 97 MXZ 440 fan since it was new and all my friends run the bigger motor sleds and I don't have a problem riding with them, If need be I just catch up at the next stop sign on the trail. I race motocross and love speed and racing, so don't get the wrong idea when I say you shouldn't be going that fast on the trails anyway. Minnesota has a speed limit of 50 mph for the simple reason of safety. It always scares me coming to a blind corner wondering if some nut trying to impress his friends is coming at me on my side of the trail. If you want to go that fast join snocross, otherwise the smaller engines are sufficient. I prefer the fan cooled motors for simplicity, reliability and lightweight and have never been dissappointed. I also own a ski-doo 700 summit long track for mountain riding out west. It is powerful, heavy and can be a struggle when you get stuck, but it does a good job for what it was built for.
Anyway, don't let the smaller engines scare you away from them, they are also good at what they were built for.
:)

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
:thumbsup:i think youd get bored of the power look for a 440 liquid u will be more satisfied

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about better gas mileage? My 440 makes 15 if I'm lucky. I don't know what kind of mpg's a 600 would make but my 380 blows it out of the water at the pumps. Top speed on my touring is maybe 70-75 (I haven't really tried it). 440 Liquid would definitely be the way to go if it didn't get horrendous gas mileage (trail converted I've heard around 8 mpg).

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
This is like the 2nd or 3rd old thread yove pulled up.. Whats the point? and they do make a 440 liquid that isnt a sno pro, What ware you talking about trail converting for? And I dont see why people factor in mpgs as a reason to buy a sled.. The seasons short, if you have a problem fillin up your sled a few times a day, then dont ride! Snowmobiling aint a poor mans sport...

And I see in ur sig ur trying to sell a 97 440 fan for $1400.. HAHA!! You must be high! GIve me some of whatever your smokin!!

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
This is like the 2nd or 3rd old thread yove pulled up.. Whats the point? and they do make a 440 liquid that isnt a sno pro, What ware you talking about trail converting for? And I dont see why people factor in mpgs as a reason to buy a sled.. The seasons short, if you have a problem fillin up your sled a few times a day, then dont ride! Snowmobiling aint a poor mans sport...

And I see in ur sig ur trying to sell a 97 440 fan for $1400.. HAHA!! You must be high! GIve me some of whatever your smokin!!
Sorry, I forgot to check the date..... And I don't really know anything about Cats but the last 440 liquid's Doo made were in their Race sleds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have an 03 mxz 380 so i know they arent that fast but if your on the lake its great cause they are really light and im not sure about the 97 part although it might be fine so id say buy it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts