Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Indy XCR 600 Triple. It will not start by pulling it over ever. I need to add a bit of gas in the cylinders 2 or three times and then it starts right up and keeps running and is good to go. If I shut it off and give it a pull, it fires up right away. As soon as it sits and gets cold, I have to do the gas thing again. Any guesses?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have a similar problem with my son's 97 XLT Limited with the same engine. Carbs disassembled and cleaned, Choke/enrichment working properly, new plugs, and even charged up the battery (electric start) but still is difficult to start. Compression is 125psi in each cyl. and runs great once you get it started.
Wish I had an answer for you ..... would probably solve my problem too.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
Are your float bowls full of gas before you pull it over? Are the plugs wet?

My friend's lynx has the same problem at the beginning of every season. No matter how clean you get the carbs, the choke doesn't help starting. The only way to start it is to put some gas in the cylinders EVEN if the plugs are wet. We have to get it started that way and hold it wide open while the rear end is elevated for up to 10 minutes before it will finally clean itself out and idle.

·
Registered
321 Posts
bend a hook in the end of a coat hanger. look in the fill hole of the tank. there should be a gas line. hook it and pull it out. should have a brass pickup with a check ball in it. I guess tyhe best way to check it is put a clean piece of fuel line on it and place it in a glass of water. suck thru it you should get a drink. blow thru it and the water in the glass should not bubble. I had one come out of the end of the line and the line would float to the top of the fuel and suck air and created some strange reactions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
P.S. If your of age, substitute whiskey for the glass of water, then if the sled doesn't start you won't even care. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read the part about the whiskey first and ummm I couldn't read the rest of the post. Its a bit blurry now. Did someone say something about a snowmobile?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't I just take the gas line off by the fuel filter and blow into it? That way I wouldn't need to fish around in the tank.

·
ZR rider
2,064 Posts
You were working on your snowmobile, yes. And you were just saying how you were going to junk it and buy a ski doo. :cheeky4:

You can't check if the valve is working both ways unless you take it out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You were working on your snowmobile, yes. And you were just saying how you were going to junk it and buy a ski doo. :cheeky4:

You can't check if the valve is working both ways unless you take it out.
Besides, it's more fun with the whiskey.

I did this check today with my son's XLT and the check valve seems to be working the way it should. The black label "Old No. 7" had a hint of Mobile 97 taste to it.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
If you used E85, maybe you wouldn't have to use the whiskey ;)

Are the choke cables adjusted properly? The plungers should lift slightly at 1/2 choke, all the way at full choke. Sometimes the cable will move but one (or more) of the plungers is stuck fast in the carb and won't allow any more gas into the enrichment circuit. There should be 1/8" of free play at the choke lever to make sure the plungers are at the bottom when the choke is off. Pull the plungers and examine the plunger and the hole in the carb to make sure nothing is blocking. Corrosion can get in there and keep the circuit from working properly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Really... check the choke plungers and make sure the cables are adjusted properly. Also check the fuel lines between the tank and fuel pump to make sure they're not sucking air. The enrichment plungers on my son's were sticking due to some corrosion and the fuel line going into the pump had a small crack in it letting air into the pump. Seemed like when you were trying to start the engine there wasn't enough vacuum pulse to overcome the air sucking leak in the fuel line. Once it started there was plenty of vacuum and the pump supplied enough fuel.

·
Super Moderator
18,338 Posts
That is the weighted filter, you are correct, those don't have check valves. It is common for the hose to get cracks and leak air which causes problems when the fuel is lower than the outlet to the tank. Replacing the hose is not difficult, but finding a clamp that will fit on the inside of the tank is. Polaris uses a crimp-type clamp that you can't reuse and no other hose clamps will fit through the hole in the tank. I found some hose at a chainsaw repair shop that grips and won't let go once installed; if you replace the hose, you may want to look for some of that. It works great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts