Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I posted sometime back about my sled that I knew would need a rebuild over the summer and was able to get most of it complete with the all the great info on here this was my first sled and bought strictly for ice fishing so I went with the fan cooled

Well I went on my first trip up north with it started her up and off I went made it 2.5 miles when she started to bog and then died I spent the next 6 hours trying everything I could think of but no luck only thing I found was water droplets looking down into carb slides so I assumed I didn't clean the tank good enough thank God a nice local guy came buy just before dark and offered to tow me in

After I got back home I rechecked compression and found pto side went from 125 to 50 psi so I pulled motor and found the piston was trashed and the skirt on the mag side was cracked All this was caused by water not in my tank but in the bottom of my oil tank about a 1/4 cup! Not sure what happened but it froze and engine was running on no oil
I ended up sending it to Northern crankshaft after reading about them on here along with both cylinders I purchased 2 new ones from them and they bored and sized both to .20 over they did an amazing job on crankshaft as well

I cleaned up crankcase and got everything mostly back together just have to finish painting shrouds I picked up another oil pump used it seems good but I guess I won't know until I run her I plan on pre mixing and keeping an eye on it

the next thing on my list is the track and suspension I'm having a hard time finding the left side heavy duty torsion spring I can get the right one unless I go with aftermarket well I don't want to make a long story longer lol I'll post up some more questions later like how do I lengthen my skid to a 136 for a new track
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
That is a bummer about having water in the oil. Water sure does not make a very good lubricant!!

The water possibly came from humidity condensing inside the oil tank over the summer. It's always a great idea to fill the oil tank so there is no room for air so that potential is minimized.

For the spring, have you tried searching on the part number? You may get lucky and find a new old stock spring for sale on eBay or Craigslist...

Is this sled a 2-up? Most of those came with 133.5" or 136" tracks from the factory. If it's a single seat and you are going from a 121" to a 136, some places such as Tracks USA sell extension kits that include the track, rail extensions, and a tunnel extension. That may be just the ticket for your intended use. Another option would be to source out a track, find a replacement suspension that is the right size, re-drill mounting holes so the suspension geometry remains the same, and build a tunnel extension. If you can locate the parts for cheap, that may cost less, but the first option is certainly a lot easier!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I've been looking everywhere I found a place that has the NOS right sides but left side is hard to find kimpex has aftermarket in the heavy duty spring might go that route

And yes sled is a 2up it has the 133.5 on it now but if I want to go new I would have to go to a 136 also would like to go to a little bigger lug I think I can go 1-1/4 from what I read not sure yet

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Better off with Kimpex imho. Stock were not as heavy duty as the Kimpex were imho. Some sleds have heavier duty stock oem springs but icr the exact sleds that came with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for info I think that's what I'm going to do one more thing I can cross off the list lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 96 trail touring. its the 1st year xtra 10. It originally had the 133.5 track. some say you can just put the 136 on it and extend adjusting bolts all the way out. or use longer than stock bolts. I did not try that and instead just drilled new bolt holes 1" in straight back for all four skid mounting points. This was not quite as far as it should have gone if you do the math but it kept the mounting points on the original brackets so i did not have to move them. I have plenty of lee way as far as adjustment goes on my 136 track so no problems there. I have put probably 1000 miles on and no problems.
As far as springs. mine had been replaced with new heavy duty ones before i got it. I am pretty light at 160lbs and the ride was very harsh. this is/was my first xtra 10 skid and i could not understand why people liked them so much. I ended up putting an older used set of standard springs in and while they are on the soft side its a much better ride. granted the way it is its bottoms out way too easy to ride two up.

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
People like the xtra-10 because it's a pretty robust suspension that is able to take a lot more punishment than previous versions. The amount of travel is better than previous suspensions. It's also easy to install (with the right dimensions) into sleds with less capable suspensions and there were a LOT of them made, so are very available.

Adding an xtra-10 to an old sled can give the old sled a new lease on life. Is it perfect? Nope, but it's way better than the older stuff. Would I trade the ride of my Axys suspension on my SKS for an Xtra-10? Nope. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 96 trail touring. its the 1st year xtra 10. It originally had the 133.5 track. some say you can just put the 136 on it and extend adjusting bolts all the way out. or use longer than stock bolts. I did not try that and instead just drilled new bolt holes 1" in straight back for all four skid mounting points. This was not quite as far as it should have gone if you do the math but it kept the mounting points on the original brackets so i did not have to move them. I have plenty of lee way as far as adjustment goes on my 136 track so no problems there. I have put probably 1000 miles on and no problems.
As far as springs. mine had been replaced with new heavy duty ones before i got it. I am pretty light at 160lbs and the ride was very harsh. this is/was my first xtra 10 skid and i could not understand why people liked them
so much. I ended up putting an older used set of standard springs in and while they are on the soft side its a much better ride. granted the way it is its bottoms out way too easy to ride two up.
[/QUOTE
Hi Jay thanks for info I had talked to tracks usa right before I read your post and he told me exact same thing move it back 1" he told me they don't make an extension for such a small adjustment my question is did you have to drop it at all or did you just go straight back and also what size lug is your track I'm hoping to go to 1-1/4" if it will work
My sled came with the extra10 but suspension is real saggy with me and another rider I weigh 235 and my brother who usually goes with me is 180 and I'm towing a lot of weight with ice fishing sled I don't ride trails and and won't be going very fast maybe 20 or 25mph
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
fishracks
I am on a 1 inch track. I don't think you will have any clearance issues but I'm not sure. I assume you are going to stud as well? also, now that i am thinking about it I might have only moved the skid back 3/4". anyway, I moved back as far as I could and still stay reasonably on the original mounting brackets. I did not move it down at all. I would have taken the xtra 10 conversion measurements from jbshock into account as far as moving the measurement down as well, though As I have read it, the initial year of the xtra 10 skid only had a 9" travel, not the 10" travel the 97 and up had and I thought that might throw off his measurements.
Finally, on the springs. I have been happy with the extra 10 now that its more closely rated for my weight. I ride solo basically all the time. If you are driving two up all the time the hd springs would of course be better and appropriate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JayR
Thanks I'm going to pull skid off shortly and go over everything and make sure all bearings are good on wheels and new shock as well as the springs I figured while I have it off i might as well
As far as track goes I want to put studs but not sure which one I'm looking at the ice attak with the studs on the tip of lugs but overall height would be 1-1/4" haven't decided which track yet
Thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
1" ice attack if you go that route has studs built in. 1 1/4 might be too tall and rip into things I know the max I can go with studs on my '97 because of the cooler is 1" studs on a .91 track or a 1" Ice Attack Track. Also find a fox shock for an Xtra-10 they are much better then stock or aftermarket oil shocks. Plus they are rebuildable. Can pick one up for around 50-100 bucks plus 40 bucks for the rebuild. And they can be setup for your weight and valving usually. Don't forget the front rear shock on the suspension as well. Those need to be replaced now and then. They don't take the abuse the rear rear shock does but with it that old I would do it. eBay is a great way to find Fox Shocks on the cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coolhand
Thanks for the info will definitely look into to those shocks as far as the track goes my 97 is fan cooled do you think that would make a difference as far as not having a cooler

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well it isn't just the cooler, it might start ripping into the bottom of the tunnel as well. I know others with that 1 1/4" Ice Attack Track and have had issues with it not just with the cooler but with ripping into the bottom of the tunnel underneath the seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good to know I'll go with the smaller studded track I don't want to do all this work and end up trashing my tunnel thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
Like coolhand said.

When the track is turning, it's important to remember that the track is ballooning out and expanding away from the center of the suspension, so measuring to "just" clear will end up having the track contact the tunnel. The looser the track, the greater the ballooning, so make sure if you put studs on it to keep the track tightness to spec to help prevent damage.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fishracks
If you have a chance could you take the measurements of the mounting points on your skid... Ideally from the top down and from the drive back. It would be interesting to know if the 97 "133" skids differs from jb shocks 136 skid conversion schmatic. also from mine, where as I said before, I have read that the 96 (first year) xtra 10 was different that the later years.
Also, I should clarify, my track is also 91. not studded. wish I had gone with the ice attack 1".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume you have seen this schematic
View attachment 65193
[/QUOTE
I have seen a lot of schematics for parts for my model 0972262 but this is the first time I've seen this thanks as soon as I get a chance I will post up my dimensions
According to the parts list they are showing a 1" track #5411687 for this model as well as a .82" although they make reference to the euro on that 1" track so not sure it is the same as my model

1 - 20 of 28 Posts