Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a SkiDoo Formula 500 Liquid with 1300 miles on it. I took it out for it's first runs this season on the lake. We probably put a good 70 miles on it many of them wide open trying to keep up with my buddies XC 800. There was some snow on the lake so cooling didn't seem to be a problem. Only one time did the light come on but once when we stopped and shut down, when i started back up, it was on but onceI got running back on the snow, it was off. On one blast across the lake, it just died out like I hit the kill switch. Once it cooled off, it fired right back up on one pull and ran the rest of the night. The next day, it ran for a while and died again. It started back up after it cooled but this time it stalled again after one more lap around the lake. I took it home and took off the carbs and cleaned them, something i should have done before I rode it....
So this is where I am, it still starts right up and sound like it's running great. So far, everything I've been told is leading me to rebuilding...which I'm going to do this week. But I'd love to hear it's something easier and cheaper than that. It baffles me that it starts right back up after it cools a few minutes and runs strong.
One thing i did find odd was, when i unscrewed the top of the carb, the round piece in there looked almost as if it had frost on it. I put in dry gas before I rode... Just somehting that might have caused this...
thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
DONT SOUND TOO GOOD !!check your plugs look for silver deposits on them . if there is silver spater on them your pistions are fried if ther brown its not so bad , check your boots an well, i had a sled with a 583 that when it would warm up the boots would loose contact,and it would run rough , .if you were behind your friend alot eating snow dust could cause frost to form in your carb,,,,afriend of mine blew his mxz440 that way, other than that you could do a compresion check ,,,head gaskets are cheap
drain your antefreeze first ,,,,,,look for swerl marks on the head(caused by snow/watter in the chamber) look for scoring . dont run it any more until you know more,,,you can go from not so bad to very bad in no time..best of luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts