Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a polaris and dont know which one would be better to have. Riding would vary. I live in Michigan and have found these at a good price. Which one would be better to have for overall durability, comfort, mileage. I am looking at the 1997 700 tripple ultra spx or the 1997 600 xlt? I am new to riding snowmobile too. I have had other toys and want to get into this.
thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
97 700

i have 95 rxl 650 efi and like it alot some dont like tripples but i would go with xlt easier to find parts for pretty fast sleds ether way but make shure not to keep wide open on river cause thats when there nown to blow

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
XLT is about 70 lbs lighter but is an older chassis (wedge 15 years?). The Ultra has a newer design chassis (agressive 3 or 4 years) and has more power but sucks a lot more gas. Trail riding and lake racing = Ultra, trails and ditchbanging = XLT IMHO. Either sled has good reliability and yes, more parts available for the XLT.

For my type of trail riding and because I love the look of the Agressive chassis, I'd go with the Ultra assuming condition is equal.

check out www.polarisman.com and click on "specifications" at top left.

·
2011 800 Pro R Rush Retro
260 Posts
i have a 98 xcr700 tripple tripple and i ride the bag off that thing.my friends are always worried when we go riding that my old tripple is going to blow when we ride but its been an awesome sled.its heavy and rough on gas but its worth it, in my opion its all about keeping it maintained and it should be good.i got it in 98 and only did the top end at 6500 miles ,got 9500 now and had to replace a fox shock.this year,thats it. the xlt would be be lighter and probably better in the trails,but if you want to dominate the lake,go for the ultra,you will be happy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input. I just bought a 1997 xlt 600 special with 4110 mile newer track and two set of new carbides. hood is cracked in spots and seat is ripped. They stalled it before i got there and couldnt get it running. I got it home and it started right up and ran like a champ.awesome sled. Only paid 800 too.

·
2011 800 Pro R Rush Retro
260 Posts
the xlt is a good sled. sounds like a good deal too. my buddy has a xlt600 and he loves it...and you cant beat a tripple for the sound

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
97 700

sounds like a good deal i love opening my tripple on river also never had problem with efi or my tripple on the 650 my freinds are also worried but i thing they just hate seeing me fly by them but is now good on take offs also since i got clutches rebuilt have fun with your neww machine:cheeky4:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts