Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im doing a track swap on my 97 to a 156, the problem im having is that the the drive shaft wont come out of the chain case, i took the speedo meter off and i also took the botom gear off in the chain case, it moved a little but it wont come out anymore, anybody have any ideas???

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just make sure that you don't have any weight (the track) pushing down on the driveshaft. If the shaft is centered in the hole on the clutch side, it should slide out. You might be getting hung up on the drive cogs. Push the track as far up and forward as you can to give you some room. And you shouldn't have to completely remove the driveshaft. I've done it both ways, you can either take the bearing off and it will then slide out. Or you can just slide it out of the chain case and let it hang from the clutch side while you swap the track.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx xcrider!! ok on the clutch side the bearing has two plates on it, i can take the one on the outside off but the one on the backside of the gear cant come out without going over that ball bearing, also this track came with a set of rails off a 09 rmk 800 " the same sled the track was off, will those work without mounting bracket modification??

·
Registered
44 Posts
There should be two flanges retaining the bearing with three screws holding it all together with the chassis. The inside flange should just push back away from the chassis and it can stay around the driveshaft while you do the track swap.

If you're replacing the entire rear skid, you'll have to acquire some measurements to drill the new mounting holes, I'm sure someone else here has experience with this. If you're trying to use longer rails with your existing suspension........that might be a huge mess. I just installed a 121-144 extension kit from tracks usa. It all bolts onto the existing equipment which makes things much easier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the problem, the lugs on the track is creating pressure on the drive shaft making it kinda like a spring board when your try and push it off, any thoughts? also on that suspension as long as the track has good tension and the bolts are though the right mounting brackets on the tunnel i should be ok, shouldnt I??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts