Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a used zrt 600 sat for 3 yrs mice nest in air box and rubber intake hoses. will not turn over. ran great when parked any ideas of where to start would be helpfull thanks, jar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
96 zrt600

eng was not siezed when put up 3 yrs ago but i can not turn crankshaft was wondering if something sieses from sitting outside

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well if you've tried pulling the sled over with the pull rope and trying to pull the engine over with the primary clutch, then your next step would be to put some 2 cycle oil in the cylinders and keep trying to break it free.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Marvel myst? I've never heard of it actually, so unfortunately I can't answer your question! Maybe someone else can!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would assume that would work? If its lubricating and it can burned like normal oil then it should be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Marvel myst? I've never heard of it actually, so unfortunately I can't answer your question! Maybe someone else can!
Marvel Mystery oil is like Duct Tape & WD-40. Everyone should have it on hand.
I'd pour some in the cylinders & let it sit.

My 600 ZRT also sat for 3 years - except it was inside. I had a nest on top of the airbox. Alot of droppings & hair dropped down inside of it. Had to take it out & wash it out.
Take the carbs apart & clean them. I found I had the most deposits on the air mixture screws & passages.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This sounds way off the wall but i had a mouse climb all the way through the exhaust and into the engine and make a nest on top of the piston. This is rare but could be possable. Sitting for three years isn't really that long unless it was sitting outside. I've pulled sleds out of the bushes that sat for 20+ years outside and could still turn the engine over. Make sure its not the recoil starter thats locked up. Im sure you tryed spinning the clutch over though. Mice can reak haveck on a snowmobile.... lots of nooks and cranies to hide in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marvel Mystery oil is like Duct Tape & WD-40. Everyone should have it on hand.
I'd pour some in the cylinders & let it sit.

My 600 ZRT also sat for 3 years - except it was inside. I had a nest on top of the airbox. Alot of droppings & hair dropped down inside of it. Had to take it out & wash it out.
Take the carbs apart & clean them. I found I had the most deposits on the air mixture screws & passages.
any tips onremoving the air box / looks like i need to remove tank and dash
deak12

·
Registered
28 Posts
any tips onremoving the air box / looks like i need to remove tank and dash
deak12
I did take my dash off but found that I really didnt have to. The tank definitely doesn't have to come off.
Of course the carbs have to come out. there are 3 things bolted up to the box... fuel pump... cdi & regulator? I just removed the fasteners (6) & let them hang. The box should pull right out by tipping the top towards the cylinders then pulling it up & out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did take my dash off but found that I really didnt have to. The tank definitely doesn't have to come off.
Of course the carbs have to come out. there are 3 things bolted up to the box... fuel pump... cdi & regulator? I just removed the fasteners (6) & let them hang. The box should pull right out by tipping the top towards the cylinders then pulling it up & out.
thanks, pb blaster and marvel mystery oil in cylinders soaking, making room in garage to proceed, i have rebuilt almost everything boat outboards,cars engines,ect but never a snowmobile any other advice would be greatly appreciated tanks again to all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still soaking cylinders with marvel m oil still no movement any ideas if something else could be siezed or frozen?? pulled apart air box stuffed solid with frosen mice nests. carbs packed with nest right to carb pistons

·
Registered
95 Posts
save your self some time and aggrivation and just pull the cylinder heads off!!! all this time of trying to soak the cylinders is kinda a waste if you have a siezed motor most likely your going to have to replace the rings at least and pistons at most!! Good luck

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree. Take the cylinders off. 8 times out of 10 if things are seized up that bad its a good chance that its your crank that is locked up and not your pistons. Its just weird that the sled was put away running and thats what is making me think maybe one of your crank bearings is locked up. Did you pop the recoil housing off and make sure its not somthing like a broken magnito or somthing in that area that has it locked up? I can't remember if you said how many miles were on your sled but my 97 zrt 600 broke off a piston skirt at 5000 miles. I got lucky and it just got spit out of the exhaust with no damage. I helped a guy rebuild one that had a piece of the skirt lodged in the crank and had it locked up. These 600 triples are well known for that happing around that many miles. Somthing to maybe consider?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i am going to bring the sled inside today once possitive all mice are dead or relocated. is it possible there could be water frozen neer flywheel or something like that. after defrosting i will pull heads and cylinders if needed thanks deak123 2500 miles by the way

1 - 20 of 37 Posts