Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
hurry up winter
129 Posts
depends on your elevation and temp but there should be a tag on the inside of the hood on the left while your sitting on it. it will have jet sizes and clutch info if you cant find it just ask i'll get the size off of mine for you

·
hurry up winter
129 Posts
I checked the tag on my xlt and the factory main is a 260.... I'm running 250's across the board and it runs great except for some issue's lately depends on your altitude tho
Since you've got the same sled as me I've gotta ask has it ever started backfiring and popping?

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
mine backfired and popped when i had a air screw coming out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here is my issue. I had a 94 580cc and put a 96 upper end on it(pistons, cylinders etc) and I am using the 34 mm carbs that had stock 200's and came on the 580 cc . so I bumped them up to 220's and it bogged really bad full throttle. so I talked to the local repair shop and the guy said that that motor might pull enough that the stock jets will still work. so I went back down to the 200's and it really screams. but I havent had it out on a run yet just revving it up on the stand. I am just scarred of running lean. so I wanted to know what they ran in the 38 mm carbs to get an idea where to start. but after the 220's I know that I could never get away with going up more than that. so I am going to try 210's and see if I can get it to run with that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to try the 210's and check plugs. I have only done some initial running on the stand in the garage to see how it acted on the 220's. will post readings after that if I am still having questions. what I dont understand is how they got away with running 260's on the 38 mm carbs. I know there is no way I could go up that high with the 34 mm. did they ever run the 34 mm carbs on the 597 cc tripple. and if they did I would like to know what the set up for those was, then I could copy that and know I am right on.

Thanx

·
Registered
888 Posts
The standard 597 XLTs SKS, RMK, touring, etc used the 34mm carbs. At 6-9,000 feet I was running 165 main jets in mine. As I recall I also dropped one size on the needle jets.

Friend of mine's son has a 1995 XLT that we stuck the 600 XCR (triple)engine into that has the 38mm carbs and he's running 195s in it at the 6-9,000 feet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts