Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my xlt 600 is being a pile again. This year i cleaned carbs and got going but never had top end, had rpms no speed thought belt. Well then it got worse to where it was bogging out. Sled starts on 3-4 pulls but after warm it take a ton and pulled plugs and are always wet so flooding out? What should a guy look at tried new plugs and no help had carbs pulled twice. 110psi compression had the same last year but ran better then this. What am i missing? Getting tired of snowmobiles now!

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
My first thought is the choke plungers may be sticking open, allowing too much fuel. That would make it pig rich at high speeds and make it hard to start when warm. Check the plungers to see if the nylon insert in the bottom of the plunger is excessively worn, you may have to get some new plungers if they are.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i got it running to pull into the shop. I had to use throttle to keep going just bogging out and backfiring. Had hood open and could see the mag side cylinder was backfiring, could see carb bounce. Pulled carb and pilot jet was kinda plugged up, would this cause it? The choke looked fine with the little rubber piece on it yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This sounds like the issue I am having with my 97 XLT.
Cleaned the carbs yeterday, started great the first time, but after getting it home from my friends shop, it was really hard to start and was backfiring when pulling it over. It would only idle for about a minute or so and then die, it would also die if throttle was applied.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah going through the posts looks like alot of people having running issues with their tripples right now. Wish i could figure it out without bringing it in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
if your choke is fine try looking at your needle and seat. make sure it is closing all the way and that the needle is not wore either bad on the sides and especially the little point on the end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
check your air screw maybe that is too far out! i had that issue my air screw is at 3/4 turn out and runs like a charm but when it was 1 turn my plugs were wet

·
Registered
162 Posts
check your air screw maybe that is too far out! i had that issue my air screw is at 3/4 turn out and runs like a charm but when it was 1 turn my plugs were wet
That's my next move here on the XLT.
I will remove the carbs again(3rd time) and MAKE 100% SURE they are clean and will try the pilot air screw at 3/4 turn out.
When I finally got it to start yesterday(after a lot of pulls), it ran great on the top end, still doggy on the low end.
Had the same issue with my Ultra, screws were at 1 1/2 out. Turned them in 1/2 turn and it goes like a bat out of hell now at all throttle positions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
just a sugjestioun to eliminate a posibility. are your reeds ok. if your carbs are off there rite there. if there back on and your a smoker it easy to test them. (heres how) take plugs out, make sure a cly is at its lowest point buy slowely pullin rope, get a staw, lite a smoke, then blow smoke thru straw into low cly. repeat for all cilinders. if any smoke comes out carbs your reeds arnt closeing or chiped.

·
Registered
43 Posts
having the same problem with my 93 xlt 2-3 pulls when cold 9-10 when warm. Plugs are wet. Maybe time for a carb clean? stuck float?? choke stuck?? was a little boggy at 1/4 throttle fliped the choke on at 1/4 made it worse. 1/2 and full throttle is fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts