Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 xcr and a 94 xlt and the belt is loose on both of them. They both have a little bit of a low end bog but once you get going they take off. There the little circle plate on the secondary that has 3 bolts and 1-5 marked. I’ve put that at both extremes and the belts are still both loose. I’ve read that it should ride about 1/16 outside of the secondary and right now the top of the belt is about 1/8 to 1/4 from the top of the secondary. What can I do to fix this. I have new Polaris belts on them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Position 5 opens the clutch and position 1 closes it. I just put a new belt on and had to put it on #5 to make it loose enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it set on 1 but the belt is still loose. I’m wondering how I can get it tighter. Is there some type of shims inside that I can remove or could it be the spring or just needs to be cleaned and rebuilt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If that's a new belt, then maybe somebody did put an extra shim between the sheaves. The belt should never sit that low in the sheaves. Is the secondary opening and closing smoothly? It could be time to take it apart and inspect everything.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Either that or the clutch alignment is off. Or the engine shifted or broke a motor mount. That is the correct belt that much I can tell you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts