Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to the forum and need a little help. I'm riding a 96 xcr 600 sp. The sled has an '97 Ultra 680 top end with AAEN pipes, rebuilt primary with purple spring and 54 g weights, older secondary (non-adjustable cam), stock carbs. I've got great top end and the sled really goes well if I am moving and the engine is running above 6000 rpm. The sled starts fine and idles great, but it really stutters off of the line. I've sync'd the carbs and adjusted the chokes so I think that the problem is with the clutching but I'm not sure. There seems to be too much deflection in the belt, could this be the problem? The sled also burns WAY too much oil, at least a quart per tank! The bottom end is so bad that I could'nt even tow my buddies sled. HELP!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your deflection should be 1 1/4 inch. You may want to try a new belt if this is someting that is new and hasnt always happened. You will be amazed at what a new belt will do (could solve your deflection issue as well). Those weights seem alittle light for that sled, probably not the problem though. Does it seem like its cutting out, or loading up? Is this machine new to you? Have you had it serviced (very important)? What was done to it before it started running bad?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply NY. I got a new belt last night and will try it. The old belt(s) were pretty bad. 1/8" wear on both of them. I've also dropped the needle one position. We'll see if that helps. To answer your question, it is loading up pretty bad. I'm running 390 mains and I wonder if that is too much. Time will tell. I'm going to attempt to adjust the oil pump with all of the oil that I am going through. My dealer couldn't give me any tips on adjusting the oil pump other than "a little bit at a time".

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you take clutches apart? Were there any changes made before the performance problem? You could have plugged pilot or needle jets. If it was running fine and no changes were made I would not start changing jet settings, it's not the problem. shane

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd say that your mains are a little too high. I would gradually go down, in needle position or jets and see if you start to get more power. If you do, then you know your problem. Just don't jump a huge gap. You won't blow the motor if its a little too rich, but it will if its lean, let us know how it goes,

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts