Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our 2 96 XCR 600's on a trail run the other day and had a bit of an issue with one.
Went to leave the dinner restaraunt and the choke lever broke off so got it running with some pliers. It was about 0, so it took some throttling to keep it going, but was able to get enough heat into it to head out.
Got about 1/2 mile from the restaraunt and mine just wouldn't rev above 5,000. Kept into it thinking it was just cold and being obstinant but as soon as I let out of it it sputtered out. Tried pulling on it and it was seized tight so we drug it back to the bar, went and got the trailer and called it a night.

Got it torn down today expecting to find a burned piston...unfortunately the top end looks great.
I put a 1/2" ratchet on the big nut on the recoil side of the crank and can barely turn the crank with the top end off.
I assume it's eaten a bearing in the bottom end?
What all is involved in pulling the crank and getting new bearings stuck on it?

I've built plenty of hot rod motors, but this'd be my first 2 stroke.

Other than the motor, the sled is in really good shape - nice hood and seat, newer studded track and carbides. Is it really worth fixing? I planned on selling both of them and picking up newer ones over the summer when prices relax.

Thanks for any input,
Jon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This place is great. Here I was thinking I was either going to have to sell it as a parts sled or dump a ton of $ into getting it back up and running.
Turns out another guy on here has a sound motor for it.
Great community here!

·
Need Snow!!!!!
427 Posts
This place is great. Here I was thinking I was either going to have to sell it as a parts sled or dump a ton of $ into getting it back up and running.
Turns out another guy on here has a sound motor for it.
Great community here!
I know it's not blown that's for sure. Apparently it ran before torn down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna stick new rings and gaskets in it for sure. Will gauge other parts once I get it and start digging around in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts