Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 96 Touring E 380 that has no spark. I have checked out all the normal things and having no luck. Is there something I am overlooking? Is there a way to check the stator or the cdi box? I need to clean the carbs but I was told by the previous owner that it would only idle and when you were to rev it up it would die right away. I assumed the carbs were dirty because its sat for many years. What should I check or test next?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After further review, it has extremly weak spark. What should I try and how can I test the stator?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Unplug the engine harness right there at the motor, that will eliminate any harness issues. If it's still weak, I'd say coil or stator, since CDI's will work or not, period.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I unplug the harness there is no spark. I guess I dont understand how there would be spark if you unplug the harness from the engine. Is the stator a common problem for these. I hate to just start buying parts that I dont need. Is there a way of testing the coil?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If you unplug the harness, the engine should have spark since there are NO key/kill switches to shut it off. You say it goes from weak to no spark when you unplug it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I unpluged it and there still is no spark. I have heard from other that coils rarely ever go bad. Correct? Im thinking the stator has problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
unplug everything exept the pick up if it has one there should be two groups of wires coming out of behind the recoil one has the stuff to un plug and the other group of wires goes to the pick up dont unplug those then it should have spark unplugged thats how my formula is anyhow hope this helps get the trouble shooting going 4 u

1 - 9 of 9 Posts