Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 96 arctic cat puma and its been giving me lots of trouble it was running right right after i bought it so i checked compression 50psi on left cyl and 75psi on right cylinder so i took top end apart and put new pistons rings and gaskets in, the cylinders looked flawless when i inspected them and the new piston rings end gap was @ .012 im guessing thats good...so i put it all back together and it seemed to run alot better at first and had 125psi on both cylinders...it finally idled and reved up nice but once i started riding it around i notice it wasnt running right at alittle past half throttle to wot it pops and backfires thru the exhaust when i gun it and itll rev up fine sumtimes and other times it will pop bad on the way up...im guessing its the cdi or a coil??? or sumthing with the inition system,,, timing off??everything is stock except clutches. also it doesnt smoke that much ...my xc 700 smokes a ton but never fouls a plug or loads up:/ im guessing my cat should smoke a little more..sorry its so long..please help

·
Registered
711 Posts
Measure your stator ohms, bypass the TSS, put new plugs in it (BR9EYA's), take apart and clean all electrical connectors (Use dielectric grease on them putting them back together), check all ground wires and trim the ends of the plug wires for starters. You can see how to do most of those things by viewing my "How to" youtube videos. You also need to determine if your issue is fuel related....what do the plugs look like? Are they wet? Dry? Dark? Light? Ect.. If it had sit a long time before you bought it there may be a mouse nest in the air box or exhaust. Are the carbs clean?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another satisfied customer....:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i am very satisfied...how do do an oil usage test? mark the oil res. and ride it then see where it is after i ride??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts