Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! First post here,
I have a 96 xcr 440 sp (red head).
I got it off a family member and it was sitting for 2-3 years..
put new
-gas line
-fuel filter
-spark plugs (bR9es)
-plug w
Also flushed the gas tank and cleaned the carbs.
carb air screw is 1 turn out
everything seemed fairly clean for tiring that long!!

It fired up good and seemed to run ok! Took it out down the road and there always a bog until about half throttle then she picked up and went.. I thought maybe i just needs a run.. so about 3 days go by and I take it out a few times to try and work the bog out but no luck.. so I started checking things and couldn't see anything that would point me to the bog..
so trial and error I started to go though different parts.. taking them off my good running sled..
I changed
Primary clutch
Fuel pump
Carbs
Belt
Exhaust
Coil
Choke cables..
the compression is 120psi in both

I'm honestly at a loss for what to try next.. anyone maybe point me in a direction I'm missing...

· Registered
3,977 Posts
Check the secondary clutch for buttons, also springs depending on miles can cause a bog as well as those need to be replaced as well now & then. Clean the carburetors again as if it sat that long even with cleaning out the tank could have been some stuff in the lines or fuel pump. The sticky above also has a service manual for '96-'98 to help with carburetor settings for your elevation and temps. Also on those 440s Polaris stop recommending the BR9ES in a lot off those 1990s snowmobiles that called for them originally and switched them to a BR8ES or what I use is the BR8EIX or E3.31 spark plugs as they last a lot longer in my '97 Indy 500 and the '98 Indy 440 I have. Also Polaris sometimes over jetted the mains on those back then as well. First thing I did was go down one size in both of mine which helped as well with being too rich. I would put the original primary clutch back on, cleaning it, replace the belt with another one, clean and rebuild the secondary with at least new buttons if not a new spring as well. For both of mine which use the same springs iirc as those 440 XCRs I used a 120-300lb primary spring from SLP & Polaris makes one but the SLP is a lot cheaper and then in the secondary I use a 24-49lb rating Gold or Black Polaris secondary spring. The XCR should have a Blue 120-300lb Polaris in it from factory in the primary, the secondary should be a red spring but those are junk flat out from factory upgrade it to that Gold or Black which is part #7041782.

I would reclean the carburetors, replace the fuel lines with tygon, make sure the fuel line inside the tank is there as well and use tygon and find the weighted fuel filter on the end of it if the line is gone it should be in the tank. Sometimes that can cause bog as well as it isn't picking up the fuel like it should.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the secondary clutch for buttons, also springs depending on miles can cause a bog as well as those need to be replaced as well now & then. Clean the carburetors again as if it sat that long even with cleaning out the tank could have been some stuff in the lines or fuel pump. The sticky above also has a service manual for '96-'98 to help with carburetor settings for your elevation and temps. Also on those 440s Polaris stop recommending the BR9ES in a lot off those 1990s snowmobiles that called for them originally and switched them to a BR8ES or what I use is the BR8EIX or E3.31 spark plugs as they last a lot longer in my '97 Indy 500 and the '98 Indy 440 I have. Also Polaris sometimes over jetted the mains on those back then as well. First thing I did was go down one size in both of mine which helped as well with being too rich. I would put the original primary clutch back on, cleaning it, replace the belt with another one, clean and rebuild the secondary with at least new buttons if not a new spring as well. For both of mine which use the same springs iirc as those 440 XCRs I used a 120-300lb primary spring from SLP & Polaris makes one but the SLP is a lot cheaper and then in the secondary I use a 24-49lb rating Gold or Black Polaris secondary spring. The XCR should have a Blue 120-300lb Polaris in it from factory in the primary, the secondary should be a red spring but those are junk flat out from factory upgrade it to that Gold or Black which is part #7041782.

I would reclean the carburetors, replace the fuel lines with tygon, make sure the fuel line inside the tank is there as well and use tygon and find the weighted fuel filter on the end of it if the line is gone it should be in the tank. Sometimes that can cause bog as well as it isn't picking up the fuel like it should.
thanks for the response! I have a 488 Indy and it runs great on the br9es but I will defiantly try the 8s as every machine is different! As as for the carbs. Iv cleaned these ones probably 4 times now and every time it's been very clean with nothing in them! But I may try rebuilding the secondary and getting a new belt along with double checking the fuel line in the tank and see what that does... thanks!

· Registered
3,977 Posts
Just watch the plug colors as always. I know mine despise those BR9's or the equivalents. Otherwise they run just too rich hence the switch first to the Iridiums then the E3 plugs now those two are all I use and have for backups. Also another thing to look at is sometimes over time those Plug Caps get loose in the spark plug coil wire. Cut back a 1/4" and put new caps on. We've all had that happen where the spark was intermittent just enough to cause a issue. Yeah check the belt deflection just to be safe as well never know over time. I would just try another belt as those 440s, 500s and what not all use the same belts from back then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts