Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Polaris Transport that I purchased with a damaged hood. I've tried repairing the cracks with fiberglass from the back side of the hood but the resin doesn't dry between the plastic hood and the fiberglass mesh. The side exposed to the air dries but the other side stays sticky. Is there anything I can use to repair my hood? Thanks.

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
I have a 1996 Polaris Transport that I purchased with a damaged hood. I've tried repairing the cracks with fiberglass from the back side of the hood but the resin doesn't dry between the plastic hood and the fiberglass mesh. The side exposed to the air dries but the other side stays sticky. Is there anything I can use to repair my hood? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! I had the same issue at first. Get all the sticky goo off and mix up another batch of resin, but use a generous amount of hardening liquid so it dries fast (5 drops). As I'm mixing the resin, the resin is already starting to harden. That should give you an idea of how much hardener I use. I also apply the resin with a throw away brush. Another important factor is the ambient temperature of your workspace. The resin likes a warmer environment. As always, make sure the repair area is clean and free of debris. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
323 Posts
fiberglass doesnt stick to the plastic composite hoods, it will peel off in time, the best fix I have found is a 2 part epoxy you can buy at wal-mart, hardware stores, or most any auto parts store called "plastic Welder" as mentioned its a a 2 part epoxy that dries to a light cream color.

To repair the crack, drill a small hole at the end of the crack (stops the crack from running any further) V out the crack line with a dremel tool, then fill back in with plastic welder epoxy, cures in half an hour, can be sanded and painted. This stuff is best i have found, I have fixed many hoods with it, in fact I have a spare hood I am working right now I am going to fix and put on my sled.

·
Registered
177 Posts
fiberglass doesnt stick to the plastic composite hoods, it will peel off in time, the best fix I have found is a 2 part epoxy you can buy at wal-mart, hardware stores, or most any auto parts store called "plastic Welder" as mentioned its a a 2 part epoxy that dries to a light cream color.

To repair the crack, drill a small hole at the end of the crack (stops the crack from running any further) V out the crack line with a dremel tool, then fill back in with plastic welder epoxy, cures in half an hour, can be sanded and painted. This stuff is best i have found, I have fixed many hoods with it, in fact I have a spare hood I am working right now I am going to fix and put on my sled.
I agree that this is the best way to repair it. After 25 years in the auto body repair business, I have done several sled hoods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts