Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 96 forumula III last winter and i had an ongoing problem with it all winter. The first time i took it out i drove about 10 miles and it got really doggy, i looked at the plugs and they looked alright, but there wasnt any spark. I put new ones in and they worked fine, for about 10 miles. What is going on here, i had the carbs cleaned the first time this happened, thinking that was the problem, but it didnt work, i also cleaned the RAVE valves, no luck. Also, when all 3 cylinders were firing, i only had a top speed of about 70 and got probably 100 miles to the tank of gas. whats wrong with my sled? i dont want this year to be like last year where i always had to stop and swap out plugs every 10 miles. the last time i went out i went through 9 plugs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many things can cause the problems you are having. you checked the carbs, check oil injection setting , compression , clutch springs , broken reed valves good luck and let us know what you find....Jari

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sameroblem

I had the same problems you had and finally it died after a whole season of use. To my recollection it was the stator. But I am not sure. It is the thing that spins around and makes the DC electricity. It cost about 600 buck to fix including labor. E-mail me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've come to the conclusion that im gonna trade it off. i have a 97 mxz 583 lined up that i can get for $1700... we'll see what happens

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i guess that im gonna keep the f3 for another season, i also have almost narrowed it down to the stator.. I know that there is a way to test it, i beleive you have to test the ohms. how exactally do you do this

·
Registered
323 Posts
My buddy used to have the same sled, and he had a problem with his too. It seemed to ride right into 4' diameter boulders under the powder. He landed about 35' from the rock and totalled the sled. But anyway, it was a pretty sweet sled. I liked the triple triple setup. He didn't have it long enough before totalling it to get any major problems. Luckily he wasn't too hurt and he just insured the sled the week before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts